PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe removal

danronian
03-10-2003, 08:41 PM
I searched for this and found a few people saying they did this w/o getting their car painted and since my pinstripe on my black 89' is kind of coming off I wanted to get rid of it. Does anyone know how to take it off, and if so do you have any pics of the before and after? Thanks.

original2k
03-10-2003, 08:49 PM
yeah i do actually, but i gotta find them and post them blah blah, but i just used sticker remover, sell at auto stores in a spray can, i dunno how yours is but on one side it was really easy for me, just follow the directions and use your finger nails to sorta scrape it off (it won't scratch your paint becuz the sticker comes off easy), but on the other side, the pinstripe was really weathered bad, it was like infused to the paint, took me a month to do that side.....literally..........but it makes a hellofa difference, really easy way to a cleaner look...

Chubs87Accord
03-10-2003, 09:27 PM
yeah thats a way, you can ecperiment with a blow dryer possibly if youre too lazy to go to the store... but go anyway and get a plastic safe on all surfaces scraper, usually called a teflon scraper or something to that nature.. itll be easier than fingernails, haha

MrBen
03-10-2003, 09:59 PM
If it is painted on, buy a tube of GS27 and wipe it off. If it is stuck on then you're going to have to experiment using plastic squeegee thingies and scrape it off, and if there are the minor scratches afterward use that GS27 to buff it out.

Mike89Accordcom
03-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Ya this has been asked many times. Just peel it off. Could take you couple hours, depends. Pick at it with your nails. Once I got mine off, I waxed my car, you could barely see it. But then I got my car painted and away it went!

Chubs87Accord
03-11-2003, 03:11 AM
dammit, whats with you freaks and using fingernails!! lol.. do it right, get a gentle plastic scraper

slammedLXI
03-11-2003, 05:16 AM
if painted on (mine where) gs27 works wonders. however it takes awhile, just keep at it. it took me a combined total of maybe 3 hours to do the whole car...

original2k
03-11-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Chubs87Accord
dammit, whats with you freaks and using fingernails!! lol.. do it right, get a gentle plastic scraper

like u said before, if your too lazy to goto the store then you'll just improvise, we ended up use our fingernails (costs less that way), the $2 i spend on a teflon plastic scraper, i could use on 2 junior bacon cheeseburgers at wendy's......:lol

Chubs87Accord
03-11-2003, 02:58 PM
true.. or if you go to mcd's a double cheeseburger and a drink or fries :D

meohmy01
03-11-2003, 04:12 PM
all i have to say is don't let your girlfriend do it! mine wanted to help so bad with the car. so i handed her a razor blade. i figured it was something easy. talk about a bunch of nicks and gouges.

danronian
03-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I really do want to take the pinstripe off but I just remembered, and saw, that my wheelwell is rusted badly and I am going to need that as a place to paint up to to make the paint match after the rust removal. Thanks anyway, maybe this thread at least helped someone else out!:rolleyes:

meohmy01
03-11-2003, 07:38 PM
dude. i have done that many times. i actually did it on my 94 before i decided to get it painted. the quarter was rusted and the paind was flaking

chainz
06-15-2006, 04:21 PM
if painted on (mine where) gs27 works wonders. however it takes awhile, just keep at it. it took me a combined total of maybe 3 hours to do the whole car...

Well my turn to dig up an old thead. I'm wanting to remove my pinstripe and wondering what this 'gs27' stuff mentioned is.
Is it seriously this 'As Seen on TV' stuff here:
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/gs27.htm

frantik
06-15-2006, 07:11 PM
like u said before, if your too lazy to goto the store then you'll just improvise, we ended up use our fingernails (costs less that way), the $2 i spend on a teflon plastic scraper, i could use on 2 junior bacon cheeseburgers at wendy's......:lol

yeah but at least the teflon scraper is higher quality plastic :D

azazel_18_2
06-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Go to say Orielly's. Ask for a pin stripe remover. They will get you a wheel that goes in an electric drill. It is made out of a soft material that will remove the pinstripes easily. I just bought one and it did wonders.

2ndGenGuy
06-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Thats exactly what I was going to suggest. Its like a big eraser wheel. They work amazing. Just used it to take this ugly gold stripe off of my Civic. They take off decals or anything thats stuck on your paint with adhesive. Just don't use them on plastic body panels, because they will take off the paint.

A18A
06-17-2006, 01:04 AM
ive used a screw driver once, done the job fine, just 2 risky coz u might scratch the paint