PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a higher amp. altenator?

guaynabo89
03-10-2003, 08:54 PM
I want to know if anyone here has or has owned a higher amperage altenator for their Accord.

Did anyone buy one from an audio company?

Anyone have their altenator rebuilt to push out more amps?

Prices and places where you bought or had work done would also be apreciated. :D

AccordEpicenter
03-11-2003, 06:20 AM
I have a rewound and it pushes like 140 amps cold, prolly 115 hot. The only bad thing is the engine has to turn about 1500rpms or more to get that kind of power, it puts out nothing at idle. I bet you could get ohio generator to make you one but it probably wont be worth the $800 youll pay for it. I cant remember what the guys name was I got it from but i only payed $135 for it and its been kickin ass for over a year now, and I run a 1200w system that draws about 80-90 amps at full power. Ive heard of a few civic guys running stinger alts but im not sure if you need custom brackets or an external regulator for it, so if you went that route youd prolly need some custom work. The rewound is the cheapest

guaynabo89
03-11-2003, 06:35 AM
I've been calling local shops and they've priced me around 250 and up.:( Thats for gettimg mine redone not new!

So you got nothing at idle huh? I was hoping for a little more at idle than stock. They tell you any info about any problems or hardships about rebuilding Honda alts?

Stinger alts are hard to come buy. I've aked at a couple of audio shops and noone really deals with them so they can't answer any questions.

Did you get any type of warranty when they redid your alt?

AccordEpicenter
03-12-2003, 06:30 AM
you wont get any more at idle with a rewound, they just give you hella more current when youre driving. I have to turn down the system at stoplights because the lights dim really bad when the engine isnt off idle. Hmm i think the guy gave me a 30 or 90 day warranty... I cant remember.

guaynabo89
03-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Did he tell you anyting about the altenator having a shorter lifespan because of being rewound?

Also did he give you an exact amp quote?

Thanks for answering my questions.:)

Swan
03-13-2003, 01:32 PM
I"m gonna go to a local stinger dealer, and see if they make them for our cars... probably go tomorrow or something... someone email me and remind me, and I'll post how it went! I always have a hard time remembering where I posted messages!!!

guaynabo89
03-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Let us know how it turns out. Get as much info as you can if they do have an application for our car.

Check the email notification button when you reply to a subject and you'll be emailed whe someone replies to something you posted.

AccordEpicenter
03-14-2003, 11:34 AM
rewounds dont last as long and can burn up (regulators in particular) if you really run them hard but theyre cheap and easy to install.