PDA

View Full Version : where to start?

Xeno
03-11-2003, 04:42 AM
ok i dug up the info the PHAT guy from the import shop gave me..

know problems at a simi test not all probls posibly

distributer seal
oil pan gasket leak
exhaust leak
power stearing pump leak
carburator (just said i needed a new one)

i think thats pretty much all he told me

SO.... best course of action.. pull the engine and get dr jeckle on it and finally find out what a car really is ( cuz i have no idea about machanics but i can learn) or just pin point and try to target the troubled areas and try to fix those... or "DUDE YOUR CAR IS FUXORED"... or ya know a b16 would fit in that...

leme know what you guys think, its starting to warm up here in texas and i do have a set of wrenches. ;) and its not like the car is running now anyways.. so i figure i would just dive rite in..
well it runs but not well and not for long periods of time.
but i dont plan on trying to trouble shoot seeing how my knowing of this is so limited

:werd:

ACCORD EX
03-11-2003, 07:14 AM
so you are asking what to fix first !?
if so
oil pan gasket , dist. seal , carb ( you could get a weber ) , Power steering , exhaust !

MIKE

Xeno
03-12-2003, 08:42 AM
SO.... best course of action.. pull the engine and get dr jeckle on it and finally find out what a car really is ( cuz i have no idea about machanics but i can learn) or just pin point and try to target the troubled areas and try to fix those... or "DUDE YOUR CAR IS FUXORED"... or ya know a b16 would fit in that...

should i totally rebuid the motor? do those sympoms reflect more problems and it would be a good idea to just total rebuild,

or do you think its probly not that bad and i should just work on what i know and try not to mess up to much of the other things in the car.

or it would be more cost effective to just get a new motor..

thats what i was wondering

markmdz89hatch
03-12-2003, 10:54 AM
well, like Mike said, just fix the things in the order that he listed, or similar and you should be back in business.

One question though.. ..how much $$ are you willing to invest into this car, and how long do you intend to keep it? Those answers will be the deciding factor here.

If you want a good running car with the least expenses incured, just fix what's wrong.

The oil pan gasket is real cheap and is only about a 2hr. job. The distributor seal is really only about a 30 min. job, and the carb, well, that's a litte more involved, but still only a 1day operation. As for the ps. pump, that's also, as with all other 'problems' a very easily accessible replacement that should not take long.

Exhaust, real cheap just get it patched, or instead of getting a new oem replacement exhaust (if it needs replacing all together), just talk to the local kid at Monroe Muffler or the equivelant and toss him $75-100 to custom bend a 2.25" exhaust for you. All you'll have to do is buy a good muffler for him to weld onto it, and you've not only got yourself a new exhaust, but a few extra hp to boot.

At this point, there's really no need to do a complete rebuild IMO.

dXsquared
03-12-2003, 11:06 AM
definetly get a weber if your car wont even start and you have to get a new carb.. it will add HP and give you no troubles like the HONDA carb... and its cheap too... 360 bucks.. you can install it inlike 3 hours.. or less

Travis