PDA

View Full Version : adjusted A/C screw messes up IDLE HELP!

bradccool
03-11-2003, 08:29 PM
OK heres is the deal.........I got an automatic.....I had the ussuall problem........below 1000rpms on the tach the cars idle's rough ....in drive.....in neutral or park its good tho......so awile back I set the stop throttle screw too about 1200 and in drive it is 1000 ........ran fine........well next problem was the AC.....when I cut it on.....the Idle dropped to maybe 600-800rpms and ran like shit with it on.......so I adjusted the A/C Idle screw...and tightened it all the way........and now my Idle with or without the A/C on is like 1900 in park and 1100 in drive.........I know this is bad on gas milage! and probably not good for the car...........what did I do wrong........when I cut the A/C on it still is a little rough idle *about 900 rpms in drive* and it doesnt really change........isnt the A/C suppost to make the Idle go up by itself a little!???

A20A1
03-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Ok you have 3 screws for idle.

the throttle stop screw on the back of the carb is for your lowest good idle speed when the car is warmed up.

the idle screw on the left side of the carb is for the 900 - 1000 rpm automatic idle speed when in gear.

the idle screw on the right side of the carb is supposed to kick in when you have the a/c on and headlights on. So turn on your headlights and A/C while you set the idle speed to 900 - 1000 rpm.
you must first set the throttle stop screw and then the left side idle screw first, before turning on your A/C and headlights and adjusting the right side idle screw.

hope that helps.

bradccool
03-12-2003, 07:36 PM
OK I will do that didnt know about the 2nd idle screw ya mentioned........I will check that out when I get my car back *getting a new paint job!!!!!!!!*

ACCORD EX
03-13-2003, 05:05 AM
i think the AC booster is stuck ! hey Mike > can't he remove a line from teh AC vacuum booster and see if idle drops !

MIKE