PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I found out yesterday

BoredRec
03-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Headlight combo switches from an 86-87 are different from an 88-89. Poop. Looks like I'll hafta find another switch. At least my headlights work again. It's just too bad that I have no blinkers now. Nuts. :(

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-12-2003, 10:55 AM
That sucks. I too found out the hard way yesterday that an ECU from an 88 LX-i is different from an 89 LX-i, and aren't interchangable. Too many different parts, damnit!!! :mad:

88' Accord Ltd
03-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by BoredRec
Headlight combo switches from an 86-87 are different from an 88-89. Poop. Looks like I'll hafta find another switch. At least my headlights work again. It's just too bad that I have no blinkers now. Nuts. :(

I found out the same thing 2 days ago too! they are at a different angle. I thought i just put the switch in improperly at first but nope. I had to get a new one from the junkyard too.

89AccordLXI666
03-13-2003, 05:43 AM
damn, I hate when stuff comes to that point.... They should of kept everything simple like the ecu's but I guess u can't... due to better proformance stuff etc.... I mean there is a little differencess in all the models of the 3rd Gen Accords, such as engins, and various other parts on the car that may differ from other 3rd gens... You know there is a saying about simple stuff, and I like to call it K.I.S.S. That means... "Keep It Simple Stupid" LOL I got an ECU from my 89 LX-i just sitting around looking pretty if anyone needs it... PM me if n e one is interested... LAtaz

offthahook
03-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
That sucks. I too found out the hard way yesterday that an ECU from an 88 LX-i is different from an 89 LX-i, and aren't interchangable. Too many different parts, damnit!!! :mad:

Dude, I hate to say I told you so... I replied to your original AC thread with the "Make sure the numbers match, get the same year and body style, etc." Then, dude came on and said "Any 3G FI ECU will work." THAT IS FALSE. Glad you are the smart kind who won't jack with it and will just get it done right. Plus, you learned something. They may work from diff. years, but it won't be a perfect match. What were the issues when you put the 88 brain in there and fired it up????

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Heh, yea I'm a dumbass, I know :lol :rolleyes: I had remembered that my ECU said "Y-1" on it, and I thought that was the type. I wasn't sure if tranny type would make any difference, so I looked all through the boneyard for an 89 EFI with manual trans. I found none of them. The closest I could find was the 88 LX-i coupe w/manual trans that I got this one off of. Everything else was either auto, carb'd, or 86-87. This one said "Y-1" on it too, so I thought it'd be the same, but I didn't notice until I got home and compared the 2 that the longer model number on the side were 1 number different, and the 88 one was slightly smaller in size than mine. I plugged it in and everything plugs in fine, and it started right up normally, but when I hit the A/C button the RPM's went up to 2000 for a few seconds, then would drop down and rev back up (just like when the EACV goes bad....that weird revving). Also the compressor clutch wouldn't engage, so the compressor wasn't even turning. When you turned the A/C off the RPM's went back down and it seemed normal, but I just shut it off and took that ECU back out cuz I didn't want to risk messing anything up too much. Put the old one back in (and cleaned the terminals on the connections real good....they had some corrosion on them, which may be what's causing the problem) and compressor clutch is working fine again along with the idle and all that jazz. I've still gotten the CEL several times though, but I'm gonna do some more investigating on that. Oh wel...it's just more annoying than anything, and it can't be too serious since it's not even throwing a code.

I only paid $15 for it, so I'll just try and resell it on ebay. If not, not a huge loss. Now I know to only get the 89 EFI one! :) I still wonder what the difference was though, since they had the exact same engine and accessories and all that stuff. Kinda weird...

MoonScryer
03-14-2003, 02:45 AM
OK. maybe I'm lucky, but the combo switch from my 89 SEi junker fir on my 87 LXi column w/ no problems, as did the cluster, etc. I've also used one from an 89 LX on the same 87 LXi. Yes, the fit isn't EXACT, such as the screws on the blinker/light arms side are one turn loose to allow the arm to work, but otherwise it works fine. Cluster, etc are always no problem.

Perhaps you got one from a hatch? Now Those are different because of the rear windshield wiper.

offthahook
03-14-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
Heh, yea I'm a dumbass, I know :lol :rolleyes: I had remembered that my ECU said "Y-1" on it, and I thought that was the type. I wasn't sure if tranny type would make any difference, so I looked all through the boneyard for an 89 EFI with manual trans. I found none of them. The closest I could find was the 88 LX-i coupe w/manual trans that I got this one off of. Everything else was either auto, carb'd, or 86-87. This one said "Y-1" on it too, so I thought it'd be the same, but I didn't notice until I got home and compared the 2 that the longer model number on the side were 1 number different, and the 88 one was slightly smaller in size than mine. I plugged it in and everything plugs in fine, and it started right up normally, but when I hit the A/C button the RPM's went up to 2000 for a few seconds, then would drop down and rev back up (just like when the EACV goes bad....that weird revving). Also the compressor clutch wouldn't engage, so the compressor wasn't even turning. When you turned the A/C off the RPM's went back down and it seemed normal, but I just shut it off and took that ECU back out cuz I didn't want to risk messing anything up too much. Put the old one back in (and cleaned the terminals on the connections real good....they had some corrosion on them, which may be what's causing the problem) and compressor clutch is working fine again along with the idle and all that jazz. I've still gotten the CEL several times though, but I'm gonna do some more investigating on that. Oh wel...it's just more annoying than anything, and it can't be too serious since it's not even throwing a code.

I only paid $15 for it, so I'll just try and resell it on ebay. If not, not a huge loss. Now I know to only get the 89 EFI one! :) I still wonder what the difference was though, since they had the exact same engine and accessories and all that stuff. Kinda weird...

VERY interesting!! When I had my AC fixed, they had a hella hard time chasing down why the idle would NOT increase when the AC was cut on. The culprit?? Someone had put the wrong ECM in my car back in the day. Obviously it "worked" cuz the AC was nonfunctional. When the AC worked, the car would die or idle rough. I got a used ECU that was the RIGHT match. Problem solved!! You'll get it fixed fa sho!

Coitis1
03-14-2003, 03:18 PM
wow, how ironic. i've been having what i assume is switch problems w/ my high beams. they won't come on. when i click to the turn them on my headlights just go off. not a big deal cuz i don't use them that much. i guess i know which switch to get now