PDA

View Full Version : bought a new a20a3... i think

Tref_LXI
03-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi i just bought a new engine for my 89 lxi, its a 89 lxi pfi 12 valve, looks just like my old engine, but I noticed the fuel injectors are a different color my old engine is red, this is black, is there anyway to tell by a code or something if they are the same motor? THis engine has 86k miles on it and has been sitting for about 8 years. Is there anyway to tell if it has 86k miles on it, or will my odometer still read 192k? Its outside with a tarp over it, and tomorrow I'm going to start taking my old motor out.

dews89blkaccord
03-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Look on the rightside of the exhaust manifold the engine code will be there. Just a suggestion, if that motor has sat for that long you may want to check or change the oil pump. If its been submerge in oil it may be ok. But if it hasn't been in oil the screen on the oil pump tends to develop a hard substance and clog up the screen. Speaking from experience. :)

Tref_LXI
03-12-2003, 08:35 PM
ok i just went outside and looked everywhere to the right of it, this is what i found after removing about an inch of oil - 9B10 -|
does this mean anything? i know there was only one pfi engine for the 89 accord, but i need to know if this is really a 89 honda accord lxi engine. Also i looked inside of the valves and stuff and they are all rusted, can this be fixed by having the engine run again with new oil and stuff? The place has let me keep my old engine for any parts I need. The hoses on the new engine are kinda cut up so i can replace them, everything looks rusted to me on the engine even after i scrubbed with engine cleaner for about 2 hours.

dews89blkaccord
03-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Sorry its on the leftside of the exhaust manifold. :huh:

Tref_LXI
03-12-2003, 09:10 PM
ok i found the bastard, it was under about an inch of oil and dirt + the numbers where rusted. it reads A20A3, so im good to go, thanks dude.