PDA

View Full Version : Is my trans TOAST?!!!

microracer
03-12-2003, 06:07 PM
:confused: My trany in my 88 LXi will not shift out of 2nd gear. 155K and I can put in another one for $500 (250 part/250 labor) is this a good price? Do these units have a vacuum modulator? Could a vacuum hose gotten knocked off in the deep snow? I started getting stuck in 1st, but would shift to neutral then back to D4 and everything was OK. Then I started getting a shudder shifting from 2nd to 3rd. So I let some fluid out and added Lucas Trans help. So, so results for about 10 minutes then stuck in 2nd again. When you first start the car I can hear a whining sound that changes with engine RPM. What do you guys think? I'm so glad I found this forum. Maybe now I can keep my LXi out of an early grave!

netfreak
03-12-2003, 11:06 PM
I'd say replace it. I lost 4th in my tranny a few months back and no fluids or anything even made a difference.

cruznz
03-13-2003, 01:16 AM
does the whinning sound happen only when in gear?...and is quiet when in park or neutral?.

microracer
03-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by cruznz
does the whinning sound happen only when in gear?...and is quiet when in park or neutral?.

Pete,
It happens as soon as you start the car. It dosen't matter what gear the tranny is in, P,R,N, D4,D3 or 2. Another thing I forgot to mention, even wih the car in neutral it never fully disengagesthe motor. I can still feel it pulling when I rev in neutral, not alot but just a little bit. Thanks all.

shepherd79
03-13-2003, 04:48 AM
have you checked your oil level in trans?

microracer
03-13-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
have you checked your oil level in trans?
-Yes right where it belongs. Wish it was that simple. I wish I had a 5-spd!

joker2
03-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Well, by the sounds of it this may be the perfect opportunity to swap to a manual..........:D

microracer
03-13-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by joker2
Well, by the sounds of it this may be the perfect opportunity to swap to a manual..........:D That would be great if I had the time/info to do it. This is required transoprtation and I have to get it fixed ASAP.:rolleyes:

joker2
03-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I understand when this is your only car and when it has problems you have to get it back on the road as soon as possible....... But if you're going to spend that much I'm pretty sure you can find a manual for the same price and they probably will charge you just a little extra for the parts you'll need for it........ I don't know, it's hard to say because I'm doing my own swap so I never factor in labor cost.......:smokin:

cruznz
03-14-2003, 01:13 AM
is the noise definitely coming from gearbox?.......i think if you check out faq's you'll find info on transmission i:d........and maybe your shift cable needs adjustment