PDA

View Full Version : new engine is rusted

Tref_LXI
03-12-2003, 08:43 PM
hi there i just bought a new engine for my accord. Its a 89 honda accord lxi "a20a3". I think it is anyway, my old engine has red fuel injectors, and this one has black. Besides that they look the same. I looked to the right of the exaust manifold and this is the number i found - 9B10 - |. I scrubbed this engine for about 2 hours and removed a ton of the oil all and dirt all over it. I looked inside of the place where i put oil in and there is rust on the inside. Just about everything on the engine is kinda rusted looking. I was wondering if the engine will run fine with rust on the inside, maybe its nut rusted on the inside, but it has the dull look of rust. The engine has been sitting for a long, long time with 86k miles on it. Also can i get tiny bit of water into the spark plug holes and stuff without care? Sorry, but it would make cleaning the engine a lot easier. Once the engine starts up and runs for a while wont it burn up a lot of the dust and stuck oil inside of the engine?

A20A1
03-12-2003, 08:48 PM
I would rebuild the motor if it's been sitting for a while
the pistons may be frozen... and stuff like the water pump gaskets and oil seals may have dried out and cracked.

3G Jester
03-12-2003, 09:22 PM
DEFFINATLY rebuild. dont think twice. souidns like it needs it.

just do it....itll make ya cool..everyones doing it ;)

haha no seriouslly..rebuild. replace gasgets and seals....make it shine.....

Blue Impact
03-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
I would rebuild the motor if it's been sitting for a while
the pistons may be frozen... and stuff like the water pump gaskets and oil seals may have dried out and cracked.

I'm thinking the same thing too. If it's been sitting for a long time, gaskets and seals are dried out and cracked and they sure need to be replaced.

offthahook
03-12-2003, 11:57 PM
REBUILD. I do not understand peeps going to all the hassle and $$$ of pulling and swapping an engine, but not "prepping" it right. I know it costs money, but well worth it. KInda like sandblasting a car, stripping the trim and such off, then repainting it with aeresol paint. If you wanna go all the way, do it right the first time.

ACCORD EX
03-13-2003, 04:53 AM
i bet gaskets , seals ! are all dried out ! just like Mike said !

MIKE

greekguy7
03-13-2003, 05:06 AM
From where and how much you pay for this engine anyway??

Its good that the mileage is low but the fact that it has been sitting for a long time, possibly in a wet environment worries me.

YK86
03-13-2003, 08:06 AM
I'd have to agree with the rest of the guys. The rust and crap inside may burn off but not without damaging the engine first (probably during the initial start up/warm up). I would get a refund.

Tref_LXI
03-13-2003, 08:54 AM
its only on the outside thank god, it was dark as hell last night and i had a flashlight. Im replacing all that stuff with my old gaskets and some new ones. My neighbor is going to inspect the engine today when he gets off of work, so i can take it back if its screwed.