PDA

View Full Version : good list of why EFI is better

POS carb
05-28-2002, 08:54 PM
http://www.twminduction.com/EFI/EFI-FR.html

The only disadvantage is cost but they aren't going to say that, they're trying to make a sale :)

pimp86LX
05-28-2002, 10:25 PM
heh heh "electronic wizardry"

man some ppl thing electronics and computers are magic or something...sheesh

ACCORD EX
05-28-2002, 11:35 PM
you should 've made a post :

"good list of why CARB is better " Eric ! :D

MIKE

POS carb
05-29-2002, 04:34 PM
the only thing on that list would be

1. cost
2. you can fix it with a screwdriver

:)

A20A1
05-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
the only thing on that list would be

1. cost
2. you can fix it with a screwdriver

:)

I'm sold :)

RCracer
05-30-2002, 12:10 PM
I think that EFI is great when its working right but when its not .......forget it.

Sorry but give me a carb anyday.

smufguy
05-30-2002, 07:51 PM
me personally, had my days with the carb. Sick of that bitch dying on me everyday, forcing me to idle at 2K. but now changing to efi limits those probs and has less sensors to fix and gives more power, has lotsa after market crap to beautify it and besides. looks cleaner. But trust me, a carb would look meaner;)

POS carb
05-30-2002, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't switch to EFI unless I had some $ and it MUST be aftermarket/standalone, none of this wiring harness bullshit

ACCORD EX
05-30-2002, 11:37 PM
in my opinion !

YOU CAN FUCK WITH A CARB BUT NOT WITH AN EFI ! :D

MIKE

RCracer
05-31-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by POS carb
I wouldn't switch to EFI unless I had some $ and it MUST be aftermarket/standalone, none of this wiring harness bullshit

Im with you on that on too Eric.
I would like to install weber alpha injection but £($) for £($) a carb or carbs willalways work out cheaper.
Well of the ones for sale over here.

POS carb
05-31-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
in my opinion !

YOU CAN FUCK WITH A CARB BUT NOT WITH AN EFI ! :D

MIKE

Not entirely true, with aftermarket systems you can hook up a laptop to your ECU and it will take the readings from your MAP, TPS, O2 sensor, exhaust temp, timing, knock sensor, or whatever else you want to hook up to it and it can plot a chart of how your engine is running at any given point in the rev range and you can adjust your fuel to a precision that would be impossible to achieve with a carburetor and therefore you get maximum efficiency (more HP, almost 0 wasted fuel, or you can tune it to pass emissions or get 30mpg with a few keystrokes)

CARBurn
05-31-2002, 11:54 AM
I look at it this way, EFI has it advantages and disadvantages and so do carbs. The problem is there are more EFI cars than there are carbs so there is a dying knowledge of how carbs work. So basically you are better off with EFI because that is what most mechanics know how to work on nowadays.

smufguy
06-01-2002, 09:37 AM
the only reason u can use a carb and as we know the NASCAR guys use it is cause of its ease of tune-ability. no laptops, no fancy electrical gadgets to tune a carb. all u need is a right sense of everything about an engine and a screwdriver as someone mentioned before.

dosh8er
06-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Well, you guys are right... Carbs kick some serious ass when it comes to pure gas-guzzling power! :flip:

BUT

My accord is for preformance, which means gas milage. I like getting 30+ mpg. (i don't know what you guys say in the UK/Canada... kpg?)

IF I had another accord, I'd beef that sucker up in a serious way. It would be carb, and it would eat gas for the fun of it. But shelling out extra green is not my idea of fun when I don't race or show my accord.

Hrm... If only I had money and another accord. I'd kick that guy's ass from work with the shitty mustang. (no not really shitty, he just talks WAY too much shit) Ah, "Don't FUCK wit' da honda mofo you mudderfucking imbred!"..

Sorry about that... must.. go.. expel.. some anger...

dosh8er
06-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Well, you guys are right... Carbs kick some serious ass when it comes to pure gas-guzzling power! :flip:

BUT

My accord is for preformance, which means gas milage. I like getting 30+ mpg. (i don't know what you guys say in the UK/Canada... kpg?)

IF I had another accord, I'd beef that sucker up in a serious way. It would be carb, and it would eat gas for the fun of it. But shelling out extra green is not my idea of fun when I don't race or show my accord.

Hrm... If only I had money and another accord. I'd kick that guy's ass from work with the shitty mustang. (no not really shitty, he just talks WAY too much shit) Ah, "Don't FUCK wit' da honda mofo you mudderfucking imbred!"..

Sorry about that... must.. go.. expel.. some anger...

febigblockford
06-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Depends what carbs you're talking about. Webers are a lot different than the 2 barrel Mikuni carbs that come on 3rd Gen Accords. The Mikunis are a lot more complex with more feedback stuff. I think the stock carb on the DX and LX is the hardest to diagnose. The thing has all kinds of feedback and sensors but no ECU .... strange vacuum controlled stuff that I don't think anyone knows how to calibrate or reset or adjust. As far as gas mileage the original carb on the DX and LX will easily beat the LXi or SEi. I can get right around 40 mpg with my 87 LX consistantly.... and I'm pretty sure the PGM EFI guys can't do that..... but they don't have the carburetor related headaches that I (and all the other 3rd gen accord guys) have.

When it comes to emissions EFI wins. More accurate mixture and distribution = lowest emissions.

When it comes to power.... EFI wins again. More accurate mixture control.

Don87LX
06-01-2002, 08:04 PM
ah yes EFI IS nice but in a perfect world with free gas and no smog give me dual DCOE webbers and big lead weight in my shoe! For now I guess I'll just have to deal with my DVG Weber

HondaSi88
06-01-2002, 09:17 PM
When it was cold my carb would take forever to warm up!
FI is automatic!!!!!
Here is a little story my first car was a Honda DX carb way back!
Anyway This girl asked me for a ride and its about 20 degrees outside.....well I started the car and just took off well at the light my car gave out on me......Not good!!!!

POS carb
06-02-2002, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
the only reason u can use a carb and as we know the NASCAR guys use it is cause of its ease of tune-ability. no laptops, no fancy electrical gadgets to tune a carb. all u need is a right sense of everything about an engine and a screwdriver as someone mentioned before.

Yea, but do you drive at a constant RPM all day long? No, that's the purpose of EFI, it compensates for dosens of factors many times per second, a carb is got fixed characteristics of how it performs, it doesn't change or compensate for RPM, altitude, ignition timing, etc.

POS carb
06-02-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by febigblockford
When it comes to emissions EFI wins. More accurate mixture and distribution = lowest emissions.

When it comes to power.... EFI wins again. More accurate mixture control.

That's what it's all about! Maximum efficiency! It's the future, it's just evolution of technology, we have to embrace it (I sound like a poet or something). It's just better, otherwise it wouldn't have been developed