PDA

View Full Version : CV Joints - info required.

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi all - I need some information about CV Joints:

the CV joints are the outer joints on the driveshafts. I replaced them with pattern parts last year but the extra power of the B20a has started to make them click when you turn sharp corners.

How serious is this? I need to know if this can be rectified somehow or how to ease the problem to reduce the wear. I'm not very technical so I need an idiots guide :confused:

Oh and another thing, what does RICE mean?

ACCORD EX
03-13-2003, 12:25 PM
are you saying you did a rebuild to the outer joint ( the one at the wheels ) ?? these ones ain't replaceble ! they must be changed with the shaft ! the inner ones can be bought seperately ! but i would recommend a whole shaft !
and i think that once they started clicking they are shot !

BTW how is the boot on them ?

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
03-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Mine CV joints have been clicking for about a year and a half. I think I need to buy both CV shafts and boots. I have a friend that will help on the install though. Is nopi the best place to buy them? I haven't check the local shops yet.

greekguy7
03-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Check autozone prices too.

If the boot is torn and they click, then its time to replace.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
03-13-2003, 07:42 PM
As long as the boots are not torn, you have nothing to worry. If the boots are torn, then I would replace them at your earliest convenience. Even when they are torn, they will still operate. Erika drove her 89 accord drive with torn boots for a year before replacement. We even drove through Reno in snow and rain.

It's natural for the axles to click after a year or even six months use. It's wear and tear. If you replace them with boots intact, then they will be quiet but the noise will return shortly.

Claude

Grant2k
03-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Mine CV joints have been clicking for about a year and a half. I think I need to buy both CV shafts and boots. I have a friend that will help on the install though. Is nopi the best place to buy them? I haven't check the local shops yet.
definitly just check your local shop. they shouldn't be more than $60 plus core.

dosh8er
03-13-2003, 08:26 PM
uhm.. yeah... :barf: ..i know bout those.

I got mine at Autozone for $59.00 (USD) a side
plus a core charge of 50.00 per side.. but you get that back if you take the old ones back..

but be forewarned.. it's a bitch to get the damper fork bushing bolt loose!! :mad: if you can dissassemble on side of driveshaft and slip it in that way. without messing with separating that fork!

Mine's still not done.. damn part hasn't fscking come yet! stupid majestic ! :burn: