PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Project

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-14-2003, 02:19 PM
How simple is it to fit a sunroof? Considering a double size roof window bit like renault espace with sunroof as well - or am I just mad?

ACCORD EX
03-14-2003, 03:58 PM
don't fit a sunroof if you are in a rainy area ! it builds up rust so fast !i wish i hadn't one ! :(

MIKE

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-17-2003, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure what u mean - are you saying that the accord sunroofs leak badly or is it just yours - I've had several cars of different makes with sunroofs and they were all fine, no leaks, not one. My mates new corsa has a leak so go figure.

88 Accord DX
03-17-2003, 09:48 AM
he's talking about it rusting. if you get it perfessionally done it shouldnt leak but still it might rust.

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Still lost, if it's prof fitted why would it rust? surely if the newly exposed metal on the hole is primed & coated and the seal is watertight, why? Maybe I'm expecting too much of prof fitter but for my money that's what I expect. I'm not talking about basic sunroof (hole with glass in) I'm talking about having almost half of the roof converted into glass, up to just behind drivers seat in a kind of squared off wedge shape, so the doors stiill close onto metal surrounds. ... ... ... yup I'm mad...

RobT5580
03-17-2003, 02:28 PM
I have done an aftermarket sunroof in my coupe and it if fine. As long as you use the proper sealer it will be fine but if water gets under the frame then you will have rust problems.

AvgWhtMale
03-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Replacing that much metal with glass might present stiffness problems.

'A20A3'
03-17-2003, 08:21 PM
i dont know if its possible, or if its a good idea, but If you did get it done, it would look real cool.

ACCORD EX
03-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by 88 Accord DX
he's talking about it rusting. if you get it perfessionally done it shouldnt leak but still it might rust.

thanx 88 Accord DX !

:)

MIKE

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-18-2003, 11:03 AM
I have wondered about the torsion stiffness, I know that the roof provides a significant amount, however I'm also wondering how the car would behave (basically when they added the hardroof to the BMW Z8 the handling was much improved BUT it was still a half decent car without the extra stability and chassis stiffness, although I understand the car was specifically designed with this in mind whereas the 3G aerodeck wasn't) - I'd have to check all the relevant details, but I was hoping that if I cut up to but not including the gutters on the roof - say an inch or so at front then taper so that at the back it's only same width as normal sunroof (maybe even side on lengthwise, depends on the look) to maybe the beginning of the rear seats, there would still be some of the rigidity in the frame, maybe beef up the front at the windscreen double thick or whatever is required (small bore tubing any good?), just in case of rollover. This is a major project and requires some VERY serious consideration. all feed back is appreciated..

As for look .. .. .. way way way cool (well IMHO and that all that matters) :p

RobT5580
03-18-2003, 02:42 PM
If you get the normal size sunroof you will be fine but it has to fit in front of the support beam. If you cut the main support beam i can assure you that it wont support the sunroof properly. This was my issue because i would have like to place my sunroof a little bit more to the rear but the support was in the way and i wasnt gonna cut it because that is the only real support for the roof.

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-20-2003, 09:47 AM
hmm.. k, thanks Rob, wonder if there's room for two?