PDA

View Full Version : what speakers will fit in my 89 lxi

Tref_LXI
03-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi i need to know what size of speakers will fit in my 89 lxi. I'm pretty much making mine almost like new in a few weeks with a new hood, new motor(86k), new paint job, cleaning everything inside, and replacing everything damaged inside. Cost is around 1000 dollars and im also looking to buy a cd player with those 4 new speakers, so any suggestions from you guys would rock. Dont forget to tell me the size that fits please.

shepherd79
03-15-2003, 04:52 AM
dude, look at the post you posted earler.
it is 6.5" all the way around usually.
there where 2 speaker sizes available in the back for our accords.
you will have to take the back speaker out and look at it. if it is round it is 6.5", and if it is oval shape it is 6x9.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-15-2003, 05:23 AM
You might actually have to look at your speakers that are currently in your car. We can't tell you for sure so check.

danronian
03-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Yeah make sure you measure...I didnt...DOH...

Rosen99
04-14-2003, 08:36 AM
I got hte '89 LX-i Coupe...i put 6x9s in the back...and 6.5" component system in the front...its all good..but be warned....aftermarket 6.5's and 6x9's are a helluva lot bigger than stock 6.5's and 6x9's...but they'll work regardless..good luck pickin out the rite ones

danronian
04-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Actually the speakers in the front of my 3g looked as though they were 6.5's but then when I bought new ones and put them in, the stock ones were actually a bit under 6 inches around, making for a pain in the ass installation. I now know I should have gotten 5.25's for the front, well ill probably just buy some clarion's i saw at the pawn shop if they sound good and put them in the front and throw the jensen's in the back.

BDaccordguy
04-15-2003, 08:36 AM
yeah, i had an 87 lx with Rockford components in the back (6.5") but they wont fit too well in my 89, im not sure if they changed the size of the hole or what but it sits on the metal cone and wont screw in

em_
04-16-2003, 05:33 PM
i bought 6"1/2 and they are to big for crying put fuckin loud

i cant take them back so i installed them getto style with crooked screws whick i screwer where ever i could just to hold them in place:huh:

the magnet was bigger and i had to cut the plastic design inside the door

my speaker is now at like 2mm from the window when is all the way down

anyway it sounds good and you cant see the shitty job i did

so 6.5 didn't fit in my 89 LX when everyone told me they would

88LX-iSedan
04-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Yeah ..I have some Infinity Reference 652i's, I had to cut the basket as well ..And a warning bout these the Depth of the speakers are waay to much ..Can't roll the window all the way, But they'll scream thats for sure ..Make my ears pop

stizle
04-23-2003, 02:45 PM
6x9 in the back and 6.5 in the front, i have two boston acoustic 6.5 in the front and boston 6x9 in the back both runningoff a 2 way 200 watt MA Audio amp. sounds great i'd recommend.!!!

88' Accord Ltd
04-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 88LX-iSedan
Yeah ..I have some Infinity Reference 652i's, I had to cut the basket as well ..And a warning bout these the Depth of the speakers are waay to much ..Can't roll the window all the way, But they'll scream thats for sure ..Make my ears pop

I have those same speakers in my accord all around, and I can roll my windows all the way down.:wtf:
I had to cut the baskets too and put in my own screws though. But they do pound like you said!:D

88LX-iSedan
04-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Installed in a 88 LX-i Sedan?

88' Accord Ltd
04-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Well in an 89 EX-i/LX-i. I'll double check the model when i get home, cause im at school right now. If its the same I'll even show you a picture! Im like 90% sure its the same.

88LX-iSedan
04-24-2003, 07:19 AM
Alright, That will be odd if you have the same model and the windows roll down. Maybe the 88 and 89 actually have some differences even though their both 3G ..Hmmm :confused: ..Either that or we might have installed our speakers different.

88' Accord Ltd
04-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Yeah bro they are the exact same speakers. I have them in the front doors of my car no problem. My dad has 2 of them in the front doors of his 88 DX no problem either.....

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/290000-290999/290159_31_full.jpg

88LX-iSedan
04-24-2003, 08:09 PM
In the same Model (LX-i) i take it ...Did you just slap the speaker in there and screw em in, If you didnt let me know how you installed yours cause i wanna roll my window down again!!! ..But the box to mine are exactly the same as well. I can even tell you on the other side of the box it has like a diagram with the demensions of the speaker...(Holding the box right now) Dammit i wish i had a real cam, i would take a pick of them in my car. I even removed the cloth piece that is over the orig speaker covers so they are visible. (didnt use the ones that came with the speakers) "Very Frustrated" :banghead:

88' Accord Ltd
04-25-2003, 05:25 AM
To install em I had to cut out the original speaker basket because likeyou said they go too deep! Anyways they were too wide and didn't line up with the holes to screw in on the speaker basket so i made my own holes. Screwed em in tight, plugged em in, screwed the basket back onto the door (although only 3/4 screws went in again..???) and that was it!

88LX-iSedan
04-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Hmm.. That's exactly how i installed mine, Even the having to make own holes to screw them in. I've even took the speakers back out and rolled the window down. Then with the window down and trying to put the speaker back in it has about 1 to 1.5 inch to become flush with the basket to screw them in due to the magnet hitting the window.. ""Shruggs"" Oh well i dunno ..Well you're from Canada right, Would'nt your car be European then? ..Maybe our cars are diff

88' Accord Ltd
04-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Nah man my car is the exact same as your except the badge is different. I can take the door panel off and show you exactly how its in there if you want. I just have to time today though, I have to work then, work real early tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow night if you want.

88LX-iSedan
04-25-2003, 10:32 AM
That's alright, I believe you if you say it's the same. I wonder why my windows don't roll down though. ..Really wierd

88LX-iSedan
04-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Sence i have nothing to do right now i think imma go outside and mess with the speakers and see what i can work out ...I'll post something back and let ya know.

88LX-iSedan
04-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey man thank's alot for bringing this to my attension ..If you would have never brought up yours fitting i would have never figured it out ...Anyway it was the speaker wire getting in the way of the window rolling down so i just turned the speaker to move the connecters a diff way and re-aimed the tweeters, Now the wire goes under the window rather than getting caught in the trak ... :lol It only took me about 5 seconds to notice it this time. Thanks Again Man!! :bow:

88' Accord Ltd
04-25-2003, 06:10 PM
haha no prob man, glad to see you fixed it!