PDA

View Full Version : Brake light problem

Blue Impact
03-14-2003, 11:04 PM
All my taillights are fine. All my signals are fine. I use the right bulbs for them all. My break fluids are at the proper level and so on and so forth. Sometimes my "brake light" for the tail lights would come on and stay on. Does anyone know what could possibly be happening?

88 Accord DX
03-14-2003, 11:06 PM
okay look at your brake pedal. there should be a little white button. as long as the the metal is touching the button the light is off. just make sure it is touching. i think it screws out if thats the problem. if not im stumped.

carotman
03-15-2003, 06:40 AM
The electric resistance in the brake sytem is not on what the ECU expects. If the total resistance has changed, look for burnt bulbs, a wing you added or corroded contacts

DanG86LX
03-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Maybe one of the bulbs is acting up..
If your 89 is like my 86, ur problem might be either with "safety indicator" (little car showing opened doors..and brake light, not likely though) or with "brake light failure sensors", the black boxes by the taillights. There are relays inside those sensors for each brake light bulb, 5 in total, 2 for driver's side 3 for passenger's side (extra high mount brake light). All relay contacts (NO) are wired in series and to the ground on the passenger's side sensor. When the brake is on and all bulbs light, the ground is passed through closed relay contacts and appears at the W/G wire on the driver's side sensor connector. Basically u should check W/G wire voltage with a multimeter:
0V (GND) with brake on.
~ 0.7V with brake off.
If u need some more testing info, i may scan few pages for you from my 86 manual.