PDA

View Full Version : Need help from experienced persons

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-15-2003, 05:58 AM
hey,
I'm gonna attempt my first oil change myself, next weekend. I want to know what oil is best to use. I used to go to a place and they put in Valvoline High Mileage. They had said about my old car, that they needed to flush the system (something like that), because it came out thick and black. I do realize black is normal for used oil. If it came out like that, what treatment do you recommend? I wanna do this to save money, and I'm also gonna put in a new filter. What do you recommend? I have one of those Haynes automotive books, but wanted to hear from people I know about their experience. Thanks for the help.

Burn rubber 3g style!!!
-Nolan

Mike's89AccordLX
03-15-2003, 06:10 AM
I use AMS Oil it's cheaper than other oils and you only have to change the oil once per year and the oil filter every six months.

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-15-2003, 06:24 AM
what treatment, if its needed(and how would i know), would you recommend?

Burn rubber 3g style!!!
-Nolan

ACCORD EX
03-15-2003, 09:08 AM
just leave it to fully drain ! ( using the drain plug ) and be sure the engine is hot ! so the oil is as liquid as possible !
i use MOBIL 1 synthetic > 1000 km or 3000 miles
and honda OEM filter which the best in my opinion for our cars !

if i were you i wouldn't use anything to flush my system !

just remember ! replace OIL and oil filter at the same time !

MIKE

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-16-2003, 05:39 AM
i went out to look for air filter, but i couldn't find the numbers for it. i was at Walmart looking in one of those books they have. i need to find my Haynes automotive book. thanks for the advice.

Burn rubber 3g style!!!
-Nolan

ACCORD EX
03-16-2003, 07:45 AM
what do you mean by find the numbers ! ?

MIKE

LIL'LXi
03-16-2003, 07:56 AM
89accord, where you at in tennessee ? I'm in knoxville. If you went to wal-mart,then you were looking at fram filters. Whatever you do don't use a fram they are like the worse filters. I use castrol high mileage oil and honda oil filter. If you have an extra $35-$40 order a k&n air filter.

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-16-2003, 09:13 AM
YO LIL im in blount county. what part of knoxvegas you in? FINALLY, found someone else from TN. WOOHOO!!!! :laugh:

Mike, i was talking about the numbers they go by in the parts books. Besides it didn't even have a listing for the 89 accord lxi anyway.

SiR
03-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Flushing is unnessesary. That the whole idea in changing your oil and draining it while its hot. When you drain it, its being flushed at the same time.

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-16-2003, 09:53 AM
so i've paid to get it flushed at a shop for nothing? well, technically my old car (89 Crown Vic. LTD) had to be flushed, because the oil came out chunky and really black. damn!!!!!

Burn rubber 3g style!!!
-Nolan

ACCORD EX
03-17-2003, 02:32 AM
all part number are available @ www.slhondaparts.com

MIKE

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-17-2003, 04:40 AM
thanks mike!!!!!

-Nolan

Grant2k
03-17-2003, 07:38 AM
if you are somewhere with Fram filters the number is PH3593A. there's nothing wrong with them. i change my filter every time i change my oil and i use the cheapest oil i can buy. as long as you have an oil filter there's nothing that catastrphic that's going to happen.

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-17-2003, 07:53 AM
to change an oil filter is it absolutely necessary to have an o/f wrench? i've seen them listed when i looked for filters on autozone.com, but can you use a regular wrench? Also where do I find Honda OEM filters?

SiR
03-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by 89accord_lxi_coupe
to change an oil filter is it absolutely necessary to have an o/f wrench? i've seen them listed when i looked for filters on autozone.com, but can you use a regular wrench? Also where do I find Honda OEM filters?

You would need a adapter that fits on the rachet. Or a ajustable rubber tool (not sure whats it called). There is also the method of stabing it with a screwdriver and unscrewing it that what. I don't recomment that because hot oil will drip out of it.

The OEM filters can be found at dealers. I bougth a package of oil filters at www.manhonda.com.

Grant2k
03-17-2003, 08:04 AM
my filter wrench is my hand. just get the rubber seal wet with oil and snug it good and tight. 1/2 to 3/4 turn after contact is recommended i beleive.

LIL'LXi
03-17-2003, 01:42 PM
89accord, I'm in Powell, right off clinton hwy.

1988starter
03-17-2003, 05:14 PM
you can use a metal band wrench or I have used a belt on many ocasions

BlueSpecV03
03-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Just keep using the High Mileage Valvoline stuff. Its good stuff. Use a Fram, Purolator, or Honda OEM filter.

You dont need to flush it out(but since you got it done already, oh well).

Dont switch to synthetic. The synthetic oil has properties that break apart clots of natural oil. Alot of those clots are keeping gaskets from leaking and by switching to synthetic after all those years of dino oil, you may be looking at alot of oil leaks.

SiR
03-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Its fine to switch to synthetic, as long you dont have any leaks from using mineral oil.

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-19-2003, 07:50 AM
my car hasn't had any leaks since i've had it. before i bought it i took it to a mechanic and he was surprised at how dry it was underneath. I like that. The mechanic also only works imports so i value his opinion. he himself drives a black 96-97 civ sedan. Just found his card i had. only works on BMW, Honda, Audi, Volvo, Nissan and Subaru.

-Nolan