PDA

View Full Version : Cv Shaft

Gerst240
03-15-2003, 12:24 PM
well i got the alternator all in place took the cv shaft out and all that good stuff i put everything back together and it was perfect then when i removed the jack and set it on the ground gearlub / tranny fluid whatever one came flowing out of the tranny like where the cv shaft goes did i not have it seated properly ? i really didnt pound it in or anything i just pushed it in till i felt it click could someone here give me some advice on how i should put it back in to where it is happy :)

thanks
erik

dosh8er
03-15-2003, 03:20 PM
i would get it back up in the air, take the wheel off, and do all the whatnot to get the CV joint out... then try to push it back in there like you did before. Happened to me before, and i'm sure you felt the same way i did (holy f*ck! what the hell?..).

If that's not it, and it still leaks (BTW, don't pull the joint all the way out of the tranny, just enough to push it back in solidly), then my next thought would be that the snap ring, or oil ring, on the end of the spline of the cv joint is shot, and you need to put a new one on there to prevent further leakage. (That IS what that ring is for, keeping fluid in).

Gerst240
03-15-2003, 03:22 PM
hey thanks for the reply i got it up in the air again and its all stripped down back to the cv just sittin there i didnt have the time to screw with it im gonna get back into it tomorrow i am just glad that someone else had it happen to them i was like wow i just screwed something up but i guess not .....hopeully after a day of wrenching tomorrow i will be back on the road

thanks

ACCORD EX
03-15-2003, 10:39 PM
does it leak a lot ! even if teh car is just standing ! or when idling ?

if it is a small leak you may have damaged teh CV - tranny seal !

MIKE

Gerst240
03-16-2003, 12:05 AM
no its not a small leak it was only when i set the car down that shit was flowing like a river i havnt put any more fluid in it like i said i am gonna mess with it tomorrow and see what happens i dont think i damaged the seal when i put it in the first time i barely pushed it in

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Where did you buy the CV shafts and how much? Both sides are shot on mine. Are the shafts and joints all on one part? I checked some online stores and couldn't find anything but cv boots. Thanks

90CRX
03-16-2003, 12:37 AM
why did you take out the cv in the first place? i installed my alternator in 15 minutes with only having to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2003, 12:51 AM
Um he was replacing the CV joint. That's why the thread title is Cv Shaft.

ACCORD EX
03-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by 90CRX
why did you take out the cv in the first place? i installed my alternator in 15 minutes with only having to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left.

because you are LXI !

anyway ! you propably lost the clip on the end of the shaft ! or it didn't go into the tranny all the way !

MIKE

Gerst240
03-16-2003, 02:22 PM
well i pulled it out today and the clip is still on the cv shaft :) i really dont think i pushed the sucker in hard enough is there any tricks to puttin it in without puttin much stress on the joints on it?

thanks for all the help i am taking the day off work tomorrow so i can get it on the road

oh yah one more thing what kind of fluid is that thats running out of the tranny is that gear lube of honda mtf? it has the smell of gear lube and how do i fill it back up? i know on my integra i can use the vent tube or speed sensor is there anything like that on these accords?

ACCORD EX
03-17-2003, 02:10 AM
if it 's a manual transmission ! there is a filling bolt on the top of the tranny ! which is a bitch to loosen ! :(

MIKE

dosh8er
03-17-2003, 02:41 PM
hey dude.. if it smells like gear lube, (and maybe kinda looks like it) then i'd consider draining that tranny and puttin' in some new fluid. Honda sells MTF or something like that, they have their own stuff.. However, you can get away with, and most people use this, either a 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil. What brand/spec oil you put in is up to you, usually full synthetics are good, esp. for manual trannys. It's much cheaper to buy oil then to get the honda spec stuff.