PDA

View Full Version : Car sways A LOT!!!!

HondaManDan
03-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Hey, I just got my new LX-i auto tranny installed and my mechanic told me that the lower front end ball joints were gone. Which I already knew, I just failed to address the problem :). Anyhoo about a week after he told me the car began to sway and wiggle while driving down the road. It also made horrendous cluking noises over bumps. SO, last night my dad and I replaced the two lower front ball joints.. apparantly the old ones didnt even have grease boots on them anymore.. hehe. SO, after we took the 4 hours to rip the front end of my car appart we had it back together and everything was snug as a bug. No worries.

Big worry, the car still sways. It doesnt clunk anymore.. really smooth, however there is a distinct rattle and swaying.

I've had the upper balll joints done.. it's got new shocks.. tires are balanced and have good tread... It's got new control arm end links... and the bearings are pretty good... what gives???

I swear if it's not one thing than it's another.

But anyhoo could I have a little help??? is it something to do with my steering or is it more suspension?

Thanks!

HondaManDan
03-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Also... is it just out of alignment???

YK86
03-16-2003, 12:52 AM
You've got most of them covered but just for future reference, the following things would be the first things to check as the cause of swaying or the car to veer a bit to a certain side: lower balljoints, upper balljoints (front and back), tie rod ends, loose struts, broken springs, and cracked or badly worn out bushings.

ACCORD EX
03-16-2003, 07:32 AM
just a small question ! how did you get the lower balljoints out ?
curious ! :)

and check the sway bar ( at least the name tells what it's for :D )
and it's bushings !

MIKE

MrBen
03-16-2003, 11:10 AM
I have the same problem, except no noises. I had the front end checked out and he said everything was tight and fine. I've also noticed my power steering isnt as easy. By this I mean, when I drove my mom's 88, her's was very easy... I could turn it with a pinkie. Mine, is easy, but not that easy.

MrBen
03-16-2003, 11:11 AM
There are no PS leaks either. It is full.

HondaManDan
03-16-2003, 12:53 PM
I noticed I have a small powersteering leak in my cooler.... could this attribute to the loose steering and the swaying car??? or is it alignment...

Also, on the ends of the steering arms there are balljoints... could those be worn out?

YK86
03-16-2003, 04:44 PM
The things on the steering arms are the tie rod ends. I would definetly check those. They will cause swaying for sure if they are worn out.

HondaManDan
03-16-2003, 06:00 PM
know how much they'd go for?

YK86
03-16-2003, 08:39 PM
I get mine for about $20 each. They are made by the same company that makes the OEM Honda ones but just in non-fancy box. Forgot the name of them. Moog has nice ones that are about $30 and they are greaseable which is nice (has a grease fitting on the top).