PDA

View Full Version : new tach

90CRX
03-16-2003, 12:49 AM
i just got a tach for free. its a autometer sport-comp. for those of you who are wondering why im putting this into my car which already has a tach is because im making a.... custom guage panel. ive heard the the tach goes to the blue wire or to one of the 2 black and striped wires, which ever one is thickest. can someone please confirm one of these claims?also, i just installed my ammeter and temp gauge, but it looks like im going to have to remove the intake manifold to get to the oil pressure port. thanks for the help.

90CRX
03-16-2003, 09:06 PM
ummm, ok... this is telling me that no one has ever installed a tach on a 3rd gen?

od2681
03-16-2003, 09:16 PM
i dont know how to install a tach either

89NinjaAccordLX
03-17-2003, 08:53 AM
The 3g accords come with a Tach stock... I would take one if given one, but I wouldn't buy one. The reason nobody knows is prolly cuz most people wouldn't buy a tac.

MrBen
03-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Add on Tachs are way ugly in my opinion and pointless on our 98 horsies. I don't know how to install one, if I did I'd help you out.

A20A1
03-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Autometer has a website... on their site is a downloadable installation instructions for their products.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Well I have to say most of the accords on here are not just 98 horses. And for those of us that have higher hp accords it is useful. I know I need one b/c I drive with my left hand on top of the wheel (12 o'clock) and my arm blocks the tach. And when you're racing you don't want to have to look over your arm and get distracted. I don't have one yet but I will have one soon. And autometer has good instructions on their site.

MrBen
03-17-2003, 09:44 AM
MOST accords on here are 98 horsies. A lot of them are not, but for the bulk of us on here a tach is just pointless, use wise. Sure some think it looks cool but unless you're on the track it's pointless. In no way was I talking down to the higher performance accords.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-17-2003, 09:47 AM
I didn't think you were talking down other accords. I was just trying point out a lot of people drive like I do and it covers up the stock tach and having another tach is good b/c it would be in plain sight. I don't really like having a monster tach on my dash but I do need to know when to shift for sure.

MrBen
03-17-2003, 11:39 AM
I agree with you too. A monster tach on the dash would be nice because you wouldnt have to take your eyes off the road that long. But for most of us it's just uneeded, and if anything, it's going to make your car a target. Anyway, back on topic, I don't know how to put one in. lol.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-17-2003, 12:19 PM
A target for cops or robbers? My cars already a target for both. That's why I take it easy when driving and have an alarm.

dXsquared
03-17-2003, 03:02 PM
i have a huge tach, white face, flames on the face, red shift light, 7 color back ground, 79 bucks... its sooo light, its made of aluminum and it look aight for the price.. i also have matching water temp, oil pres. and volt meter

Travis

od2681
03-17-2003, 03:09 PM
hey how much hp do you need to get ur redline to go up...
probably a newbie question but i dunno

dXsquared
03-17-2003, 03:19 PM
its not the HP that makes the redline go up.. its the way the cam is ground to make power... and the strength of the motor... i would sugest a cam grind from www.deltacam.com

they have way better prices than colt cams and its faster too...

Travis

AccordEpicenter
03-17-2003, 09:29 PM
it doesnt matter about how much power you have its always great to have a tach. I just think its pointless because our cars already have a tach, so why hack a hole for somthing that already exists.

xbi0s
03-17-2003, 09:34 PM
SunPro tach set goes as such:

Red - Power (12v) Direct to Battery
Black - Ground (Use an exsisting ground)
White - For light (optional)
Green - Lead to Distributor I spliced into the blue/black wire I think.. I cant remember now.. I can get pics...