PDA

View Full Version : custom door speaker pods - still in progress

88LXiCoupeAT
03-16-2003, 04:22 AM
I just wanna start off saying this site is awesome as so are our 3g's... I was a member b4 it moved, and I forgot my old username, been away for awhile due to a job that had me commuting 3 hours a day... racked up about 40k mi in 5 months on my accord!! But it's hung in there like a champ and now I got a new job only 5 miles from my home so now I have more time and less miles being put on my baby - so time now to give back to the machine that has treated me so well!!!

The only thing good about that last job - was it made me focus on a sound system - - 3 hrs is a lot of time to spend in a car and after having $300 cell ph bills - I knew I had to find something else to pass the time!!

So I put some time and energy into the sound system - my sig explains all I've done so far... funny thing - with this new commute, I barely have time to turn on the radio!!! - oh well - it's there when I want it though!

I got really into the SQ rather than SPL - and got a bit obsessive on focusing the front speakers to get best sound stage. I did not want to go with kicks, cuz I know ppl would be stepping all over them - never worked with fiberglass, but am starting to get a bit interested... instead, I just designed some door speaker pods on the computer (do CAD design) and made them outta wood in my garrage... they are still a bit rough and I plan on having them upolstered soon... but for now - I'll just share some pics. Oh and YES - the general opinion I get from everyone is my system sounds friggin great!!!

had trouble posting pics from my Yahoo photo album - so !!here (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/antonio11s67/lst?.dir=/Accord&.src=ph&.view=t) is a link to all my accord pics so far...

it came out pretty cool, the fit is perfect - however, it kinda blocks the tilt handle for the seats (didn't forsee that one!!) - thanks to honda for putting the other handles on the inner sides!! I plan to notch into them to access the outer handles in the future - lol!!

anyways - looking for feedback, or suggestions - thx!!

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2003, 04:28 AM
Sounds like a nice system but the pics didn't work.

88LXiCoupeAT
03-16-2003, 04:55 AM
I know - sorry!! - had trouble linking to the pics... fixed it to link to entire online album!!

shepherd79
03-16-2003, 04:59 AM
man that looks nice.
if you can make it more than just one set, i would be interested in one.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-16-2003, 05:02 AM
Those look sweet. I wasn't expecting anything like that. I thought you were just going to change the baskets, but damn that is one nice idea.

88LXiCoupeAT
03-16-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
man that looks nice.
if you can make it more than just one set, i would be interested in one.

Thanks - but to be honest it was one of those things that you realize you spent so much time on making - to make for anyone else would be quite the undertaking... however, what I might be able to do once I get my CAD software reinstalled, is finalize the dimensions and have all the pieces plotted out full size for cutting templates for anyone interested in making themselves... but I won't bullshit ya - it was a lot of cutting-fitting-glueing and filling... a bit time consuming. But if interested, let me know and I can see what I can do. I have the entire thing in a AutoCad file, I just have to update some of the changes I had to make.

I also have a subbox custom fit for our cars too (well at least the coupe) and another I'm planning... could possibly do the same with those too.

shepherd79
03-16-2003, 03:35 PM
yeah man, if you get blue prints i would love to have them.

danronian
03-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Yeah that would be great if you could somehow convert them to a file any photoshop application could read, I would defineatly be willing to do that for my car, I love time consuming projects that have a good result!

importracerkid
03-17-2003, 12:58 AM
How's it sound with soundproof stuff on the doors I get hella rattel from my 6 1/2's up front and need to do something simmiler to what you did any pointers looks sweet man

88LXiCoupeAT
03-17-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
yeah man, if you get blue prints i would love to have them.

- okay - I'll plan on updating them and see what I can do - perhaps simplify it cuz I had a lot of rework while making mine... I can't promise anything, but I'll give it go if ppl are serious - cuz I'll want some feed back on how it worked out -

Originally posted by danronian
Yeah that would be great if you could somehow convert them to a file any photoshop application could read, I would defineatly be willing to do that for my car, I love time consuming projects that have a good result!

right now it's all in Autocad form - and in 3D - I don't think it'll convert to photoshop... I can make renderings of them and save that to a jpeg - but that will lose all it's dimensions. without going too details I have to explode it into pieces and lay it all flat - perhaps like full size cutting templates. - it's like near 20 piecs all different shapes & angled cuts - it really needs simplifying - but I'll see what I can do

Thx for the interest...

88LXiCoupeAT
03-17-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by importracerkid
How's it sound with soundproof stuff on the doors I get hella rattel from my 6 1/2's up front and need to do something simmiler to what you did any pointers looks sweet man

I can't tell you how sold I am on soundproofing - they say it makes the audio sys louder, and it does in a way... by reducing all road/wind/eng noise. So even beyond audio - it's one of the big difference btwn standard and luxury vehicles. Nothing like rollin up the windows and turn system off and just hearing how much quieter you car rides. But to be really noticeable - you gotta put that stuff everywhere!!! - the downside, added weight!! but hell I don't race.

sorry - rambling.... to answer your question... it'll get rid of most those vibration rattles... and as for rattles - well, I suggest while you are doing it, search out some of the rattles and secure them however you can, and inspect the entire area for any potential ones. But believe me, if you do apply the stuff everywhere, you'll eventially come across all those little "noises". But the mat'l does do it's part on making it a quieter ride.

I got roughly 100 sq ft to do my entire inside - still working on trunk area. Got the stuff off eBay (Fatmat) and from McMaster-Carr (mastic) - don't go Dynamat, unless you like spending more money for no reason. Double up in certain vibration prone areas - I doubled the rear deck of my coupe - cuz man does that thing vibrate with bass. Also lined the inner skin of the doors too - so glad I have a coupe! Can't think of anything else to tell ya without getting too detailed. let me know if any questions - hope that helps.

pearldrop
03-17-2003, 07:44 AM
I ordered some of the mastic stuff from McMaster Carr and it smelled very strongly of tar. I never wanted to put that all over my car because I didn't want it to stink. Does the smell go away after a while?

88LXiCoupeAT
03-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by pearldrop
I ordered some of the mastic stuff from McMaster Carr and it smelled very strongly of tar. I never wanted to put that all over my car because I didn't want it to stink. Does the smell go away after a while?

I'm not sure if that was the same stuff... the stuff I got from them had no smell, unless you put your nose directly to it - even then it's smell wasn't bad... the stuff I ordered (don't have the catalog with me here) was under sound dampening mat'ls, and came in 3' x 4' sheets for about $9~12 a piece. If still concerned about it - do a search on ebay for "dynamat" - you'll find a knock-off just as good called Fatmat, and another - can't remember what they call it... but if you are getting it for about a buck/sq ft - then that's a pretty good deal.

dXsquared
03-17-2003, 06:12 PM
its toooo long

Travis