PDA

View Full Version : batter light on..

wikkedv15
03-16-2003, 07:07 PM
WELL AFTER BUYING MY HEADUNIT.. when i went out to the parking lot and turned the key to turn on my car the battery was dead... the light had been on for about an hour earlier in the day.. i checked the connections and just kept rolling..
anyhow.. i got the car push started got it to discount auto parts.. bought a new battery .. reset the ecu.. and the friggin battery light is still on..?
its the friggin alternator isnt it ? :rant:

90CRX
03-16-2003, 09:09 PM
yeah, it sounds like the alternator is gone, same thing with the battery light happened to me

ACCORD EX
03-17-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by 90CRX
yeah, it sounds like the alternator is gone, same thing with the battery light happened to me

if you push started the car and it ran ! so it's not the alternator !
get a multimeter and check the battery output @ idle should be 14.5 V ! if so the alternator is fine !

MIKE

Grant2k
03-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
if you push started the car and it ran ! so it's not the alternator !
get a multimeter and check the battery output @ idle should be 14.5 V ! if so the alternator is fine !

MIKE
not true. the ignition system will run off the power of just the battery for a while before it dies. i drove my car for a few days like this before i had time to change my alternator. it's risky because you never know when the battery is going to die, and all of your accessories are running off your battery at the same time that your ignition system also is. so you can run with a bad alternator as long as you have a good battery.

BUT, he did say his battery was dead. so i would have both the battery and alternator checked.

ACCORD EX
03-17-2003, 08:42 AM
i know what you mean ! you mean teh car runs for a while if the alternator is gone till the battery dies right ???
but he said that his battery is dead and he pushed started it ! ??? so that means battery = low voltage , the car ran so it took the power from the alternator ! right ?? correct me if i am wrong ! :)

MIKE

Grant2k
03-17-2003, 09:43 AM
no you're right. i was a bit hasty in my reply.

mindlos
03-17-2003, 01:24 PM
I wonder if the car continues running if he momentarily disconnects the battery coz that may say more about the alternator if he doesnt have a voltmeter. A battery may not have juice to crank but enough to run for a short while before it huffs and puffs then dies.