PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen people....

pearldrop
03-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I just got an 84 accord hatchback for free and I need a few parts for it. The front end is very loose so I was wondering if anybody had any spare parts laying around for sale or free. I want to at least replace the lower control arms (ball joints) and anything else that I can get for cheap. I don't want to spend much money on this car. It is basically just to get Christine to work and back so she doesn't have to drive the Prelude.

PhydeauX
03-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Awww come on.. you gotta make this one a show car ;)

Actually you can't lower them much more then an inch before the suspension goes out of wack, no way to control the camber aside from making some adjustable strut tops, those gaping front fender gaps are there to stay.

Unfortunatly for you I cleaned out my garage and tossed alot of stuff. I had a full set of rear brakes, one ball joint that was semi still good, and a whole lot of misc engine crap. I do have most of a grey interior laying around that I wouldn't mind parting with. Everything but the seats and head liner. Its pretty scummy though. I also have a stock rear swaybar but its not of any use unless your car was already fitted with one (need diferent rear control arms).

andy

blazin3gen
03-17-2003, 04:31 PM
yea my guess would be for u to hit the JY if i have time i might be able to get some stuff, like what basic shit do u need??

pearldrop
03-18-2003, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with the front end. It is really floaty and kind of swerves a little when you hit a bump. My main guess is that it is the ball joints or the steering rack. I'm going to start by replacing the whole lower control arm with ones from a junkyard. (That is easier than just replacing the ball joint and probably cheaper.) The tie rod ends look good so the next thing I will look at is the steering rack.
I don't plan on doing anything to this car except driving to work and back. It sat in somebody's yard for four years filled with clothes and junk. I'm still working on getting the smell out of it.
It is a bright gold color that I don't mind, but the interior is a hideous goldish brown color.
I'm just trying to spend as little as possible on this car. I only need to drive it two miles a day at 25 mph.

PhydeauX
03-18-2003, 09:54 AM
That does sound like a tie rod more then a ball joint although another thing to look at would be the radius arm bushings. My old 83 had a tie rod that was about to fall apart and handled alot like you're discription. Did you jack it up and check the play or just look at it? You can't replace just the ball joint in a 2nd gen, they are welded to the arm. New the whole assembly is something like $50 a side, ouch.

andy

blazin3gen
03-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pearldrop
I'm just trying to spend as little as possible on this car. I only need to drive it two miles a day at 25 mph.

In that case walk :flip:

ACCORD EX
03-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by blazin2gen
In that case walk :flip:

:D :lol !

MIKE

pearldrop
03-19-2003, 08:07 AM
$50 a side for the whole assembly is cheaper than most ball joints. I really don't think that is bad especially since it is easier to change.
Now that I have the new tires on it the car drives a lot better. I am not noticing the pulling anymore, but I haven't driven over 50 mph yet. Maybe that solved it. I hope so.

87accordHB
03-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I cant believe no one recommended him to me. I got 3 2g hatch LX. Lol. Wow. I also have a 85 4dr auto with good suspension. If you need something, PM me pearldrop. I just removed a full wireharness for someone today, get at me.

PhydeauX
03-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Dude, this thread is like 3 years old..

andy

2ndGenGuy
03-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I've made the same mistake. Easy to do, since some of us never saw all the 2gee posts until the separate forums were made.

87accordHB
03-04-2006, 06:51 PM
lmao, isnt that somethin...how on earth did i do that? lol oh well...guess he doesnt need it now lol