PDA

View Full Version : i got the dash off, finally!!!

hondaaccord_86
05-29-2002, 12:00 PM
finally!!! i got the dash off, but have not started painting yet. it was simple, but tough to take off. there were screws that just would not turn. i used WD-40 and sprayed it like a mother f.... and let it soak in for a couple for days. still the screws were hard to turn, but slowly... i mean very slowly... i turned them and evenutally they came out. stupid screws... why you guys gotta hold on so tight?! :rant: anyway... yeah...

-ed

TeKKnoTeKK
05-29-2002, 12:21 PM
That is going to be my next project as well, and let me tell you, I am not looking forward to it! :rant:

Jdub07
05-29-2002, 12:28 PM
Did you take off the whole dash or just the gauge part? About how many screws were there?

CoAsTeR
05-29-2002, 02:39 PM
the gauges come out REALLY easy. check out my site on the how-to's........ but I've never actually removed the whole dash before..... don't think I'd ever want to either :) hehehehe... sounds like big work..

hondaaccord_86
05-30-2002, 12:13 PM
the dash is actually easy to take off. just time consuming and lots of patience (with those damn screws that are hard to turn). theres a billion screws, mostly from the parts you take off first. the dash comes loose once all the screws are off. you gotta take off the gauge cluster too. if any of you guys need help taking it out, let me know. i can help!:D

hondaaccord_86
06-04-2002, 12:29 PM
ALRIGHT!!! well the dash is completely off and ready for painting! there are about a billion wires... and screws... snap in wire holders... and the dash is about a billion pounds... lol j/k. its heavy though. by the end of the week, it'll be primed, painting, clear coated, and waxed and ill have a white dash. pics are coming soon... i hope..

-ed

CoAsTeR
06-04-2002, 01:02 PM
oh baby!! I can't wait to see the pics!!!!
:smokin:

TeKKnoTeKK
06-04-2002, 01:24 PM
what are you using to paint it? And are you going to clear coat it?

hondaaccord_86
06-04-2002, 08:51 PM
im using white interior paint by oleum. clear coating is a must. and prime is a must too. clear coat helps protect it. prime will help it stick to the dash better.

-ed

DrMunky
06-04-2002, 09:48 PM
Just make sure you don't lay that stuff on thick.

For the first 4 or 5 coats you should still be able to see the original dash color. Make sure each coat dries well before applying the next... do it 10 or 15 times and it should stick really well.

Gregs89AccordLxi
06-05-2002, 12:26 AM
Man good luck on the painting, sounds like its gonna be a Biyatch to put it back on :mad:

hondaaccord_86
06-05-2002, 10:32 AM
dont remind me...:p

-ed

pearldrop
06-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Primer is not necessary. It is just more thickness that will eventually lead to peeling. The purpose of primer is to help paint stick to bare metal.
Clearcoat isn't necessary either. Clearcoat is just paint without the tint. There is no difference. There is no more protection either.
The best thing you can do is take that extra time and make sure that the dash is extra clean and lightly scuffed with a scothbrite pad before you paint it.
Clean it with a quality degreaser. especially since you used WD-40 around it which contains silicone.
Dashes are a pain in the ass because most people use armor all on them and that contains silicone. It can take hours of scrubbing to make sure all the silicone comes out.

Good luck. I would really use a flat color if I were you...reflective white sucks.:super:

toastyghost
06-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Dremel bit / epoxy magic on mine :) Goddamn steering wheel moldings... I have that shit mostly done, but it took like 4 hours. There were two of those little screws left, the ones that hold the dash molding to the metal frame behind it (and the bottom parts onto the top parts which is what is keeping me from getting the damn thing off due to the steering wheel). The little bastard screws are placed so that you have about <--this much--> space to work with a tiny screwdriver and they will NOT fucking budge. I haven't tried any kind of loosener on them but I think the small cuts I put on the plastic behind the button bezel thing will be enough to do the trick, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow morning. By the way, while I had the gauge housing out, I went ahead and put the blue vinyl paint I'm using for my interior job on the gauge face bezel. Looks sweet, will look sweeter when I get the PCP silver reverse gauges in there.

ps - the fucking 10mm frame bolt behind the clock was a BITCH.. spent like a half hour trying to figure out exactly where the damn dash was still being held on...

To anyone that's planning on or in the process of redoing their dash, good luck!

Later,

toastyghost
06-10-2002, 05:32 PM
Ok someone please help, I have made a benign cut so everything's ok but it didn't fix getting the dash over the steering wheel. Does the wheel need to be taken off to get the dash out? If so, how the hell is that done? (bolt behind the horn pad I'm guessing but want to get an experienced opinion on it before I go ripping more shit apart :D) Help = appreciated. Don't know why I always say that but may as well. Thanks,

BoredRec
06-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Good luck on the dash. I've done it, and I can tell you it's a pain in the ass! Did it in one day, too. Don't know if you did this, but lowering the steering column helps out a lot...just two bolts hold it on, then it drops to the floor. Be careful when you reinstall it...those metal parts where the big metal screws go into like to scrape the hell out of your nicely painted dash...happened to me, I'm just too lazy to pull it out again. But it does make a huge difference to the appeal of the car. Maybe I'll post some pics of my dash considering I can finally get a hold of a digital camera.

BoredRec