PDA

View Full Version : serious problems with my 88 lx

lilgreenhonda
03-18-2003, 07:14 AM
alright guys, im a newb ot the accord gruop, but i do have a seriuos problem with my car. i already did a seach and coulnt find what i need. i just biught my 88 lx automatic from my neighbore who never drove it. it was sitting for maybe 5 months. but my problem is: ---> first of all the car starts up fine i wait for the revs to drop then i drive it. after about 20 mins of constant driving the car starts to stutter drasticallly and then it shuts off. the engine will be warm and everything seems to be fine. i've chanded the dizzy, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filters, cleaned the carb, and now i dont know what to do. i read somewhere that the ATMOSPHERIC RELAY or somthing goes bad on these things. PLEASE HELP ITS MY ONLY CAR. thanks guys.

DanG86LX
03-18-2003, 02:11 PM
When that happen, can u see the gas level through the carb bowl window?

A20A1
03-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Make sure you have coolant in the radiator...

I'm not too sure what the atmosheric relay is... off the top of my head all I can think of that it might be it the Intake temp sensor which controlls the preheater door on the intake box or the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.

What type of distributor did you swap your old one with?
- TEC
- HITATCHI

I had my power valve lock in the down position becasue it was sitting too long, I fixed it before driving the car though...

The power valve feeds into the primary fuel passage
so you'll be running a bit rich when you don't need to which would just be a minor problem when off idle... but durring Idle I can't say, since the idle feeds of the primary fuel passage as well but the extra gas from the power valve will still come in before the idle jet.

ACCORD EX
03-18-2003, 02:55 PM
does start again after shutting off ! ? if not do you hear the fuel pump clicking !

MIKE

A20A1
03-18-2003, 03:07 PM
What about the engine oil? the car will cut off if the oil PSI drops.

lilgreenhonda
03-19-2003, 05:31 PM
ok well i bought a new f/p and im bout to put it in. i heard that the fuel relay could have something to do with it too.

ACCORD EX
03-20-2003, 05:34 AM
you are carbed ! no fuel relay ( main relay ) ! only a fuse under dash !

MIKE