PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Mixture with carb on car?

ascender
03-18-2003, 12:44 PM
I must be new to imported vehicles, I expected to be able to do this...

I have an 88 LX, can't for the life of me figure out how the heck to get in thre and adjust the mixture without taking the carb off the intake. Ideas?

I'm having a stutter when warmed up. The car runs great cold, and much better since I carb cleanered the hell out of it.

shepherd79
03-18-2003, 01:41 PM
you can't, you will have to take the carb off and remove the cap what is blocking the mixture screw.
mixture screw adjusts the idle mixture upto 3000rpm. above that i think it is fixed, i not sure about it.

ascender
03-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Aarrrrrrrgh! How can one expect to tune a car properly without being able to twist and turn as it idles!!!

I'm so tempted to just drop the cash for the carb offered to me, but I'm just so broke and the car runs so well cold that I got to try everything.

ACCORD EX
03-18-2003, 02:56 PM
why do you want to adjust ! ??

MIKE

ascender
03-18-2003, 03:39 PM
As you might remember, it's giving me a rather peculiar symptom of a fuel problem:

Upon starting after sitting overnight, it runs perfect. Choke works, idles fine, runs and drives great. As soon as the engine warms up, I can notice a sputtering/hesitation while maintaining speed or accellerating if the RPMs are too low and the gas pedal isn't pressed pretty far. When the secondary opens up, it never stutters. I'm almost positive it's either the float, or a mixture issue. It runs so good at WOT that I know it's not ignition or a fuel pump/filter issue. In fact, I'm driving the car harder, not lighter, in order to avoid the jerking and stuttering I sometimes get.

ACCORD EX
03-19-2003, 01:20 AM
check if teh primary venturi is loose or not !?

here is link !

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8972&highlight=loose+venturi

MIKE

ascender
03-19-2003, 04:37 AM
Yup, tightened every screw I could find. It kinda feels like the float, or perhaps the primary venturi is so clogged that it's not gonna run wortha hoot, i dunno.

A20A1
03-19-2003, 04:43 AM
While you are looking at yoyur float, Check for a stuck power valve... or a vacuum leak to the power valve.

ascender
03-19-2003, 04:46 AM
After cleaning the float window, I couldn't see a darn thing. I'll try again.

What's the power valve? I looked at what I thought was the accelerator pump, to the right of the float window if you are looking at it dead on. Its rubber boot is destroyed, and there is a little gas leaking below it, on the bottom of the carb. Super slow leak, but it's gas.

A20A1
03-19-2003, 05:01 AM
I sure hope it's not a leaky diaphragm.... you have 2 o-rings inside the pump chamber as well as the diaphragm that makes up the bulk of the seal.

I suggest you rebuild the carb... be careful when purchasing the rebuild kits I always ended up with kits for the prelude dual carb engine instead of the 2bbl keihin... I could tell because it came with a lot of large size o-rings and gaskets.

A20A1
03-19-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by ascender
After cleaning the float window, I couldn't see a darn thing. I'll try again.

What's the power valve? I looked at what I thought was the accelerator pump, to the right of the float window if you are looking at it dead on. Its rubber boot is destroyed, and there is a little gas leaking below it, on the bottom of the carb. Super slow leak, but it's gas.

Well acually it's just the plunger for the power valve.