PDA

View Full Version : alternator help

wikkedv15
03-18-2003, 04:48 PM
well u guys.. today is the day.. or should i say night.. that imma attemp the alternator removal..
i need help from u guys if any of u can post a step by step.. if possible on removal from the top
i read one but it was a real quick summary and didnt really help a newbie to a 3g:(
anyhow i have almost every size wrench and screwdrivers thanks to step dad:)
so. ya.. i think i have all the tools needed..
can anyone post a step by step on how to remove the alternator..
WILL BE APPRECIATED.! ALOT
thanks in advance

wikkedv15
03-18-2003, 05:20 PM
anyone? im not trying to be inpatient.. but my mother said shell take me 2morrow.. bcuz its her day off.. so i would like to have my car running by 2morrow..

Immeraufdemhund
03-18-2003, 05:58 PM
Ok, well it's been a little while since i've done it, but if you Start by loosening the bolt that makes the belt tight so that you can take off the belt (oh yah disconnect your battery). Disconnect the wire harness (i believe it's on bottom). Then there are two bolts on the bottom (i believe 14mm, if not 12mm) Next There might be one more bolt that is on the slider part of were you took off your belt. Take that one off. When you have all the bolts off remove your air box that is touching the firwall. when you get that off either have a friend reach down and get the alt so you can reach it, or be creative. Need help....well you could call me, if you need it PM me.

mindlos
03-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Detach the negative cable from the battery (otherwise you are gonna blow a fusible link in the engine fuse box. Alternator is always live).
Detach the wire harness from the alternator.
Remove the negative terminal nut then detach the terminal 10mm).
Loosen the tension nut on the threaded tension rod but do not completely remove the nut from the rod, thus keeping it on the upper bracket (12mm).
Remove the adjusting bolt. This bolts onto the alternator and secures it along the top bracket (12mm).
Jack up the car and put it on jack stands. You may remove the driver side wheel before jacking if you want plenty space otherwise you can survive with turning the steering wheel completely left. You could also remove a couple+ of the screws that hold the underside protective molding if you do not have long enough extentions to come out to the wheel well.
Remove the pivot nut and bolt from the underside. Prying and banging may be neccessary if the pivot bolt has been frozen onto the bracket (14mm).
Remove the belt then remove the alternator from the lower bracket. More prying may be neccessary to remove the alternator.
Remove the airbox assembly off the back of the manifold.
You should be able to slide the alternator between the manifold and firewall to take it out.
Installation is reverse of removal, except for a few things.
Note: Some negotiation may be necessary to put the alternator in the lower bracket.
Note: Do not tighten the adjusting bolt and pivot bolt+nut until you have set the belt tension using the tension nut on the rod.
Note: This is the best time to see if you need a new belt.
Note: Belt deflection must be 1/4 inch with about 10 lbs of force.

wikkedv15
03-19-2003, 12:08 AM
hell its 3 07 A.M and i started at 1 30am.. so it took me about 1 30min from start.. to finish..
most of the time went on the tension and adjuster bolts.. shit took me forever.. small strokes.. seeing as how i had to use a dual sided wrench instead of being able to use a socket wrench..
anyhow...
u guys did it in 20 minutes. i did it in 1 30min
matter of fact here is
IM 15 HAHAHA DIDNT EXPECT THAT ONE DID YA!:lol
no seriously.. im 15..
alternator is out.. and ready for me and my mom to go get a new one:cool:
anyhow.. i thank u guys for helping...
wanna thank A20A1.. LOL i kept bugging him on AIM.. but he helped me most of all..
3GEEZ BOARD MEMBERS ROCK..
i owe u guys..:super:
night night.. i gotta take a long ass shower.. to clean myself up
oh
update: car has oil alllll over oil pan.. but its not from the oil pan.. its from a return line i think.. who knows ill check it when the car is running again..
HOPEFULLY 2MORROW
NITE NITE GUYS:wave:

wikkedv15
03-19-2003, 12:16 AM
seriously though.. didnt expect that i was 15 ey? dont take it negative.. no my mom didnt pay for my car.. no im not spoiled.. lol
ive been into cars since i was born.. wanted to race my dad from the house to the hospital when mom was in labor... HAAHHAH nah but.. seriously. been into cars for a while.. started gettin into mechanics around 11 or 12.. started doing simple shit around that age too.. oil change .. spark plugs.. ect.
then when i hit 13.. i wanted a car.. couldnt have one.. so i saved.. and gave it to my mom to put away.. ect.. now i own a 3g.!.. well nite

bambamky
05-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Do what mindlos said but you may have to remove the drive axle too?