PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Choke Does this happen to u....

Accordie
03-18-2003, 07:46 PM
I wonder if theres something wrong with my accord? (Automatic 1986 Sedan 2.0L CARB) I heard its got automatic choke, but everytime i start the engine, like in the mornings, the engine will automatically rev to 2ooo RPM, then i gotta wait like 3 minutes or so then tap the gas lightly and the RPM will go down to 1 and a half, then wait another 30 secs - 1 min and tap the gas gently again and the pin drops to normal idling speed. The thing that pisses me off is, say i start it up and that then i drive it to a friends house and let the car cool for more then 3 hours then when i start it, it will be like the mornings where i have to wait for awhile and tap the gas so the RPM can go down. Does this problem happen to anyone else? or somethings wrong with my car? Cause i got a friend with a 92 civic that is a carb as well but he has no problem with the choke, he starts it and drives straight away. If i was to drive straight away, the RPM will stick at 2000 and makes it dangerous.

BMS
03-18-2003, 07:55 PM
You just gotta let it warm up before you drive it. It's better for the car just to wait until it gets warm anyway. If you start it up in the morning, and then go back inside to let it warm up, it'll idle down on it's own when it gets to normal temp.

DanG86LX
03-18-2003, 08:55 PM
"You just gotta let it warm up before you drive it."

Not necessarily so, I always drive once rpm > 2000 , hey the car feels like on hormones but heck..
The choke is automatic in a sense since u dont have to handle it. When engine cold, a bimetallic spring closes the choke flap which also sets the high idle cam. After engine is started, bimetallic spring is heated by an electric choke heater (not function of rpms or coolant temp !!!). It takes up to 5min till bimetallic is heated and stretched enough to open completely the flap. Intricate little levers and springs attached to the flap also pull the high idle cam lever so it would be released when u tap the gas or drive.
Pretty good for a mechanical thingy but.. no match for a mighty computer.

BMS
03-19-2003, 01:59 PM
It will also just idle down on its own if you wanna go back inside and be warm while it's warming up. I just go out, start my car, then come back inside and have some breakfast. By the time I get back out to it, it's running normal.

88accord289
03-20-2003, 09:56 AM
yeah mine does the same thing except if i leave the car idling for a while it gets up to 2500 rpm but i dont think i have an automatic choke mine is manual i think i dont know too much about the choke at least warmer weather is coming up easier starting for me:super:

mindlos
03-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I would have loved that bimetal to be coolant heated coz I hate that high idle coming on if I stopped for like 20 mins, and the engine is still damn hot.