PDA

View Full Version : it wasn't the brake booster

Maydnaella
05-29-2002, 12:47 PM
It was a one-way valve! We checked all the pipes and stuff like you said and I couldn't see anything wrong (plus I have no clue where a junkyard is) so we finally broke down and took it to A-Ok muffler and told them what the mechanic at Exxon had said about the brake booster. On the phone they'd said it'd be $225 for the replacement and labor. They checked it out and all that was wrong was that one-way valve being put on the wrong way. $60. Still not cheap for just that one thing but soooo much better than $225 and they did check all four wheels, brakes blah blah. whew. So thanks for all yoru help guys!!

BTW: what engine is in an 88 Lxi? I know they have numbers and all that.

OldSchoolSwap
05-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Maydnaella
It was a one-way valve! We checked all the pipes and stuff like you said and I couldn't see anything wrong (plus I have no clue where a junkyard is) so we finally broke down and took it to A-Ok muffler and told them what the mechanic at Exxon had said about the brake booster. On the phone they'd said it'd be $225 for the replacement and labor. They checked it out and all that was wrong was that one-way valve being put on the wrong way. $60. Still not cheap for just that one thing but soooo much better than $225 and they did check all four wheels, brakes blah blah. whew. So thanks for all yoru help guys!!

BTW: what engine is in an 88 Lxi? I know they have numbers and all that.
Wow! I'm so happy for you:D I'm glad you took the extra time to take it to somone honest! $60 is a hell of a diffrence :eek: No more booty woking out huh?

PhydeauX
05-29-2002, 01:28 PM
$60 to turn the one way valve around, I guess they charged you a bit for diagnostics. Its a 30s job requireing only a pair of pliers. Its still better then the $225 for a new boster though. The engine code for the 88 LX-i is A20A3.

andy

POS carb
05-29-2002, 04:27 PM
OPM, other people's money

carotman
05-30-2002, 07:45 AM
the LX-1 is an A20A3

1988starter
05-30-2002, 08:45 AM
Good to hear everything worked out ok. It is also good that you are back with an LX-i this time.

Maydnaella
05-30-2002, 11:00 AM
it's fantastic having an Lxi! Thanks for the engine info. ahhh...so many things to do to the car so little money right now. :p

but soon!

A20A3Power
05-30-2002, 08:42 PM
the engine model...is A20A3...hence my name :D :D and thank god it was only 60 bucks...