PDA

View Full Version : Electric water pump

AccordEpicenter
03-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Hey guys what do you think about taking off the water pump pulley and putting in an electric water pump like one off an audi or somthing? Do you think it could be reliable enough for a daily driver? I think it could free up some power, what do you think?

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't trust an electric motor for the majority of my engines cooling like that. Of course you could watch the gauge all the time, but that's a pain. And since the motor would be running constantly everytime the car is on, it's bound to burn up after awile. I dunno, I might just be paranoid, but I just wouldn't trust it.

Low Tek
03-18-2003, 11:01 PM
think it would be cool, and be free benificial.. but is it gonna work ok... hmmmm, something to think about I guess :eek:

ACCORD EX
03-19-2003, 01:28 AM
i hate electrical stuff ! they can fail without notice ! and in a water pump ! that 's a very bad thing ! :D

MIKE

A20A1
03-19-2003, 04:53 AM
A lot of race motors will use an electric pump... less resistance on the crank and its easier to controll the flow/speed of the coolant as well as the direction.

ACCORD EX
03-19-2003, 07:04 AM
may be in racing ! because they check everything before racing !

MIKE

SiR
03-19-2003, 07:05 AM
Seems like a good idea, if VW seems that electric water pumps are reliable enough for Audis, then I think their ok. You already got electric power steering, seems like the genernal direction is to electric more accersorys.

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2003, 01:07 PM
well i think they use the audi ones for after the car is off to circulate coolant but im not sure. Another idea i was thinking of was just having the stock water pump driven by a motor. I think thats actually a better idea but wed have to find another belt to just drive the alt.

ryer_s
03-20-2003, 09:12 PM
i like them they free up about 10 hp to the engine

ALTERED4
03-29-2003, 06:12 PM
actually, an electric water pump wouldnt be such a bad idea for those of you looking to make your accords faster, ive heard of significant gains on b and h series motors using electric pumps...

meziere has a couple applications for hondas, either one would be fine, since we wouldnt be using the block plates... the stock water pump would have to be removed and modified by cutting the pump vanes of the stock water pump, by doing this we would effectively have a free turning pulley... this procedure would have to be done on my h22 prelude, because the pump is run off the timing belt, but in our accords, the pump is run off the belt that runs the alternator, so it might be possible to purchase a smaller belt to run the alternator, completely bypassing the pump pulley...

the electric pump can be installed anywhere along the lower radiator hose... and meziere claims a 2500 hour life on their pumps... if you average 55 miles an hour, that comes out to 137,500 miles... without the dummy plate, im sure the pump will cost well under 300 dollars...

the thermostat would also have to be modified a bit by drilling holes into it (for a bypass)

AccordEpicenter
03-30-2003, 07:57 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking, it looks like it would work if you had a small belt drive the alternator alone and then have the motor drive the stock water pump, or bypass it all together and use a stand alone pump... BTW where can you find the stand alone pumps?

A20A1
03-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Wait I thought our cooling system had a bypass... it circulates from the T-stat to the water pipe... or is it the other way around.
Anyways I don't think we need to drill holes.

But please tell me if I'm wrong cause I don't know everything.

Low Tek
03-30-2003, 08:52 PM
so then we should be able to maybe a electric WP work or not.. I would be willing to give this a try if some one thinks it will work

:werd:

AccordEpicenter
03-30-2003, 10:12 PM
i cant see why it wouldnt

ALTERED4
03-31-2003, 01:43 AM
im not sure myself if our cooling systems have a bypass or not...

i also do not see any reason why these water pumps would not work, they are complete stand-alone systems, they even come with a toggle switch that allows you to manually turn the pump on and off...

Low Tek
03-31-2003, 03:17 AM
so like something like this would work???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2408837234&category=6763