PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Conked out

carobotics
05-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Well, last nov. when my 5th gear let go (completly different story) I also lost my cruise control. I was doing bout 110km on the highway (bout 65mph) and a semi passed me going the other direction. A huge gust of wind from the semi jolted my car. I was using cruise at the time. When the gust hit me all of a sudden it felt like I grabed the stick(its a standard) and pulled it into nuetral. The car redlined until I figured out what happened and had sense enough to touch the brake and disengage the cruise. It wasn't long. Thing is, fifth gear had let go, I didn't actually put it in nuetral, it was like it was in nuetral even though it was in 5th. I tried putting it in 5th, but nothing. So I drove home in 4th. I tried cruise in forth a couple days later, and nothing at all. I hit the set button, slowly pull my foot off the gas, and nothing. The green cruise light doesn't come on. I thought maybe it was a blown fuse, but no, the fuse is good. All the fuses are good.
So I don't know what to do or what to look for. Can somebody give me a hand please.
thank-you.

accordlx
05-29-2002, 02:36 PM
Does the switch still go in and out on the dash mounted cruise control button? The light bulb could be burnt out and the switch could still be good. (I know this one from personal experience.) I would also look at the cruise control diaphram under the hood and make sure everything still looks good.

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-29-2002, 04:35 PM
If nothing else works, try this:

Get going to speed and all, then when you go to set the cruise, put your foot UNDER the brake pedal and pull it up (back towards you). The switch can be REALLY touchy. Sometimes my cruise will kick off when I go over a dip or a bump. Then I just have to do the above, and it works like a charm everytime ;)

offthahook
05-29-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
If nothing else works, try this:

Get going to speed and all, then when you go to set the cruise, put your foot UNDER the brake pedal and pull it up (back towards you). The switch can be REALLY touchy. Sometimes my cruise will kick off when I go over a dip or a bump. Then I just have to do the above, and it works like a charm everytime ;)

VERY very true. The CC thinks the brake is being applied. Happened to me, too.

carobotics
05-31-2002, 12:32 PM
k, well, I checked out the switch, it's still good. I'll try the brake thing, if it is the brake thing, how do I fix it?

As well, how do I check that diaphram thing under the hood for the cruise?