PDA

View Full Version : Axle Help

cubert
03-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Ok..im replacing the axle...and its a pain in the ass...ive gotten to the point where i am taking out the bolt at the bottom of that wishbone thing...and it is stuck solid in the rubber. Ive tried heating it and hitting it and it isnt working. On the other side i ended up cutting the ends of the bolt and then burning/air chiseling it out. Can anyone give me some help on how to do it wothout going through that? itd be a huge help if i could get it done before the weekend...so please give me some help..bleh

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2003, 01:19 PM
use PBlaster on the nut and let it sit overnight (its really really good penetrating oil) and get a really really big breaker bar and hold the one end and try getting that nut off with the breaker bar. If that doesnt work or if you wanna save yourself some headache you might wanna consider taking apart the inboard cv joint and slipping it thru the wishbone thingy and then putting it back together. That can be tricky but if you know what youre doing its less work

rideredorgohome
03-19-2003, 04:32 PM
My sympathies 88! I know when my uncle did mine for me it was a real pain in the butt. We ended up hacking up alot of parts to do the cv and the clutch. I even had to buy new lower arms because everything was so rusted together. Oh well, at least all of that stuff is new now......lol

cubert
03-19-2003, 06:10 PM
yea..its a good thing theres such thing as propane torches and air chisels...but what a difference after it is in there. And im sure something else will go wrong soon because of the way i drive the thing...im sure the dead axle hasnt liked the tire spinning 90 mph off ramp fun...:lol

anchovies
03-19-2003, 10:23 PM
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9309&highlight=bolt+washers

If you need the bushings pm me. I've brand new honda ones for sale.

ACCORD EX
03-20-2003, 05:19 AM
i put WD 40 and left it a while ! then it came off using a socket and a meter pipe and standing on it ! :D

MIKE

modu03
08-21-2003, 01:53 AM
yeah... I had a really big breaker bar and still had to jump up and down on it to break the bolts loose... I used PBlaster a few times, it doesn't do shit... WD40 seems to work a little better, although I have this valvoline lubricating oil that works pretty well, I love that stuff.

joebeets
08-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Both sides on my car were thoroughly rusted in place. Dealer originally quoted me $160 labor to cut them out and install new bushings, but I combined that work with new ball joints and a driveaxle installation and it ended up only adding $20 to the bill :-)