PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt

89AccordLvr
03-19-2003, 12:14 PM
what are some signs that i should hear or feel to know when i need a new timing belt.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-19-2003, 12:48 PM
I believe it is impossible to judge whether ot not your timing belt requires replacement. The timing belt usually shows its signs of wear by breaking, which sometimes results in the valves colliding with the pistons and effectively destroying half of your engine. Timing belts are changed at certain intervals. 60,000 miles for an aftermarket belt and every 90,000 for a Honda OEM belt. If the car sat for a long time, it is a good idea to replace the belt since it may have deteriated and dried. Such a belt is very susceptible to breaking. The replacement procedure on this particular engine is not something that can generally be tackled by the back-yard mechanic especially if this is the first time one is attempting this procedure. If possible, contact the previous owner or wherever you bought the car and see if they can tell you when the timing belt or anything else on the car was changed. If such information is unavailable it is best to replace the belt for peace of mind.

Hope this helped. :D

3axap.

89AccordLvr
03-19-2003, 12:49 PM
thanks

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2003, 01:23 PM
One thing you can do is take off the top of the timing cover (near valve cover on the side) and see if the rubber on the back of the belt is cracked or checked or if the belt is fraying and stuff, if it is itll probably have to be replaced immediatley to avoid engine damage and down time. But yes, 89 accord is right, youll never hear anything or feel anything that tells you you need to change the belt it just breaks eventually.

ACCORD EX
03-20-2003, 05:13 AM
if you just got the car , ask the previous owner ! or do what i did when i got it ! i changed all teh belts !
OEM honda timing belt > 100000 k m or 60000 miles ! ( HONDA recomendations !

BTW if the belt fails ! you can damage your engine very bad ( pistons , valves )

MIKE