PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D.'s Substitute for Underbody Neons?

RCracer
05-29-2002, 01:42 PM
Me and a mate are experimenting using high brightness L.E.D.s (light emiting diodes) as alternative to underbody neons.
They are for his car not mine (depends what they look like:lol ) and it sits a lot lower than my accord.
We have found a source of high brightness leds( 9000mcd ) yellow for 10p (16c) each and (10000mcd ) green for £2 ($3)each so we are trying the yellow ones. They have a very definate pattern its just the spacing and how many that is the problem.
We are going to mount them in plastic u section(waterproofed).
Anyone tried it before??

Paul

Bluecoma
05-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I've been thinking of ways to better protect my neons but nothing good yet. I hope it turns out well.

POS carb
06-02-2002, 03:41 AM
I've been trying to find clear white LEDs to redo my car's lighting but haven't had much luck, can you recommend a place?

87Hybrid
06-02-2002, 04:41 AM
radio shack

RCracer
06-02-2002, 10:54 AM
I get all my electronic supplies from a company called CPC.
They are a UK only firm as far as I know.
Ive thought about changing from bulbs to LED and even the new multi color ones(purple,orange,etc). The circuit to drive the color change is quite simple but the LEDs are still very expensive.

Eric how much are white LEDs over in the US they are very expensive here. They are £2.97($4.45)-£3.70 ($5.55) each depending on size and brightness (intensity mcd).
The brightness of them is 500-1000mcd

POS carb
06-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Ouch! I'm going to see if my father can get some ordering information from where he works, they get white LEDs for their machines. I'll let you know as soon as I get any info

smufguy
06-03-2002, 08:18 PM
i am redoing my brake lamp behind the back bench seat with red led's i need to get a lot more to get em all fixed up, if not i am gonna get the ones from the passat or a jetta (they dont use led's but small bulbs). But i really want to try out the led's, these led's from radioshack, can tolerate upto 18V.