PDA

View Full Version : new rotors and pads

89LXcoupe
03-19-2003, 06:47 PM
My rotors are warped, when I get new ones do I need to put new pads on. The current ones still have lots of meat on them. Thanks for your help!

Grant2k
03-19-2003, 06:51 PM
i would say if they have plenty of meat don't worry about it. the pads are easy enough to change just wait till you get your money's worth out of them. but make sure they are all evenly warn. if one pad is tiny and the other has a ton of meat then i would def change them. i hope you are also going to use this as a chance to bleed your system.

89NinjaAccordLX
03-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Can't you just turn your rotors (get them reground) and eliminate the need to spend 200 bucks on new rotors?

Grant2k
03-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by 89NinjaAccordLX
Can't you just turn your rotors (get them reground) and eliminate the need to spend 200 bucks on new rotors?
not if the rotors are worn past the point that they can be cut, or are too warped. and new rotos should not be $200. you can get them for like $20 each off nopi.

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2003, 10:44 PM
yea its not worth messin with usually, just get new ones. Depending on how bad your pads are you can keep the ones you have.

89LXcoupe
03-20-2003, 12:53 AM
my experience has been that getting rotors grounds is a waste of time and money....especially when new ones are so cheap. Thanks for the advice guys...take it easy.

MrBen
03-20-2003, 02:38 AM
I got my rotors for $70 apiece straight from Honda.

shepherd79
03-20-2003, 04:37 AM
if you turn your rotors, you make them thiner, and it will cause to overheat and warpage a lot faster.
when you change rotors check your brake pads, if they are worn out more on one side of the rotor than you need to change your brake caliper too.

ACCORD EX
03-20-2003, 05:29 AM
there is a limit for turning the rotors ! check for min. thickness specs !

MIKE

89NinjaAccordLX
03-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Ok, I definately knew there was a maximum amount of rotor warpage allowed and a minimum thickness etc. In fact, here are the the prices! Just get them turned if they can be.

HONDA price for one rotor: $150 ($75 x 2)
HONDA price for brake pad kit: $53.15
Total = $203.15 not including tax.

Time in ALL-DATA for rotor turning (per hour): .7 hours not including R&R NOT EVEN A WHOLE HOUR
Average labor charge in US (per hour): $60.00

Now lets just say it takes them an hour to turn the rotors... that's $60-70 for rotor work and about $60.00 for the new pad set. That's $120 dollars for a finished professional job rather than spending $80 more and having to do the work yourself.

by the way, this post was edited because I removed the specs for the rotors... I figured it didn't matter.

89NinjaAccordLX
03-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Oh, and if your pads are worn on one side more than the other... don't just go out and buy a new caliper too... lol. You could overhaul a sticking brake caliper too. Its easy as hell. Your master cylinder could have a restriction in the line too. A brake line could be kinked. There are a lot of reasons for things to malfunction. Going out and buying random new parts won't usually fix anything.

Grant2k
03-20-2003, 08:53 AM
you can get a Brembo vented rotor off nopi for $18.41 each. at any autoparts store they shouldn't be much more. don't go to Honda for stuff like that.

and where i work we cut rotors for $10 each.

89NinjaAccordLX
03-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Uhhhhh I don't really want to make a big deal out of this but...

Nopi Online Catalog
480+3581 BREMBO Performance Brake Rotor - Lxi/Sei - Slotted - Front - Pair $131.44

480+3455 BREMBO Performance Brake Rotor - Lxi/Sei - Drilled - Front - Pair $124.87 Not $18.41

1. drilled/slotted/vented rotors are not serviceable so if you warp THEM then you HAVE to buy a new set. MORE money.

2. the fact that your shop cuts rotors for $10 each further emphasizes my point that getting them cut is cheaper and more practical than just going out and buying new ones.

If you are going for performance rotors, then I could see throwing down some cash for slotted rotors. But if you just want to remove the warpage from your rotors then going out and doing that doesn't make any sense. Now, if you're using warped rotors as an excuse to just get new ones because you really just WANT new ones (which is something I would do) then do your thang.

guaynabo89
03-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 89NinjaAccordLX
Uhhhhh I don't really want to make a big deal out of this but...

Nopi Online Catalog
480+3581 BREMBO Performance Brake Rotor - Lxi/Sei - Slotted - Front - Pair $131.44

480+3455 BREMBO Performance Brake Rotor - Lxi/Sei - Drilled - Front - Pair $124.87 Not $18.41

1. drilled/slotted/vented rotors are not serviceable so if you warp THEM then you HAVE to buy a new set. MORE money.

2. the fact that your shop cuts rotors for $10 each further emphasizes my point that getting them cut is cheaper and more practical than just going out and buying new ones.

If you are going for performance rotors, then I could see throwing down some cash for slotted rotors. But if you just want to remove the warpage from your rotors then going out and doing that doesn't make any sense. Now, if you're using warped rotors as an excuse to just get new ones because you really just WANT new ones (which is something I would do) then do your thang.

Vented rotors are just factory replacements. Vented being the space in between the two sides of the rotors. Vented is definately turnable.

For not being able to turn x-drilled, slotted rotors people have said that it is possible and have had it done. I have never found anyone willing or able to turn them though.

Grant2k
03-20-2003, 10:48 AM
then what's this? nevermind like didn't work.

MrBen
03-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I disagree with buying non OEM parts for brakes. OEM brakes last so much longer and are specifcally made for that car. For example, my brakes are OEM along with rotors and I've had no problems, while my mom's were done at Midas and she goes in every so often due to problems, be it vibrating when stopping or not being able to stop. I know not all aftermarket brakes are like this but I say play it safe and get OEM.

89LXcoupe
03-20-2003, 11:18 AM
It depends a lot on the car also. My mom has a 93 explorer ( notoriously underbraked) and we live in a hilly area. Sje drops 600 bucks on all new brakes every 10-15K.....thats a kick in the balls....

89NinjaAccordLX
03-20-2003, 11:18 AM
I typed vented and thought dimpled. My bad.

shepherd79
03-20-2003, 11:23 AM
you can get brembo replacement rotors here http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/maximillion/wizard.jsp?partner=maximillion&clientid=nobleforeign.com&baseurl=http://www.nobleforeign.com/&cookieid=0WB195UHN&year=1989&make=HO&model=ACC--005&category=N&part=Brake+Disc

here is the actual website http://www.nobleforeign.com/
you can get Nissin brake pads for way less than you would pay at the dealer.

i got rotors from autozone for $20 per side, and they work just fine.
just don't buy brake pads from autozone. they suck big time.

buish
03-20-2003, 12:52 PM
what does it mean to turn the rotor?

i think stillen has some deals on DX/LX rotors. like under $60 for drilled/slotted? or maybe just slotted.

Grant2k
03-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by buish
what does it mean to turn the rotor?

the rotor is put on a lathe and cut (minimaly) on both sides until they are both flat and smooth.