PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

MrBen
03-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Quick question, When I brake, I have to put a fair amount of pressure on the pedal to stop. There is no spot that just instantly grabs or anything. So when I want to stop quickly I actually have to slam my foot on the pedal. In my mom's 88lx there is a spot that grabs and it will stop pretty damn quick.

I have new pads, new brake lines, topped off fluid.

anchovies
03-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Bleed the brakes again.

MrBen
03-19-2003, 10:17 PM
They've been bleed about 4 times. It was like this before the brakes were done also.

anchovies
03-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Adjust the rear shoes. That might help

MrBen
03-19-2003, 10:26 PM
You're being a bit vague.

1987HondaAccord
03-19-2003, 10:47 PM
it could be the cylinders in the back. I had a similar problem recently and I had the cylinder replaced and POOF, problem go bye-bye!!

MrBen
03-20-2003, 12:06 AM
How much did that run you?

ACCORD EX
03-20-2003, 05:27 AM
does it grab if you push it all the way ?
MIKE

MrBen
03-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Yes

MrBen
03-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Any clue guys? The guy at the shop said everything was fine a while back.

shepherd79
03-20-2003, 04:10 PM
check your master cylinder.
than check for any brake fluid leaks.

MrBen
03-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Done. Done.

ACCORD EX
03-21-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Yes

so what is the problem ! ? :rolleyes:

MIKE

buzzbomber88lx
03-21-2003, 11:08 AM
When you push the brakes do you hear air. kinda like a whistling or something? if you do then you need to bleed the brakes. Check the lines, fluid, master cylinder, pads, shoes, all of that crap. Have fun ben!

MrBen
03-21-2003, 11:10 AM
The problem is in order for me to stop and have to literally use a lot of force just to come to a complete stop. So why is it that for instance, in my mom's 88, thats not the case? Why can't my car stop like this?

I was in an accident not too long ago and I couldnt stop, even at a LOW speed, and I hit the back of a jeep pickup.

MrBen
03-21-2003, 11:11 AM
No, no air. I've bleed the brakes a ton of times. Lines are ok, master cyl is just fine, pads are new, shoes are new. So I don't get it!

All the parts are OEM.

buzzbomber88lx
03-21-2003, 11:14 AM
are you able to adjust the stock brake pedal?

MrBen
03-21-2003, 11:17 AM
I don't know how to!

buzzbomber88lx
03-21-2003, 12:09 PM
uh...i don't either. I will look at mine and see if I can figure it out. Alright?

MrBen
03-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Sounds cool! I'd go out there but its pouring down rain. Thanks man

ACCORD EX
03-22-2003, 04:43 AM
it could be master cylinder , or booster , calipers !

but i think it's the booster ! because you said it graps fine but with a lot of force ! right ?

MIKE

MrBen
03-22-2003, 11:59 AM
The booster is fine. With the car off, I pump the brake 3 times and it becomes firm. The master cyclinder is fine. I know the front left caliper have a torn gasket... could that be it?

Haolerot
03-22-2003, 01:40 PM
rite now i am having the EXACT same problem....last nite i changed the brake pads.....i had bled the system about 5 times and i took it for a test drive....my brake pedal goes back so far when i step on the brake....i only slow down....then after a while i come to a complete stop....another thing is that my gas pedal is now more hard to press.....any suggestions, i think that there is still air in the system...but hey im no mechanic :flip:

MrBen
03-22-2003, 02:01 PM
Yeah same here, my gas pedal isnt too easy to press. It's easy, but I've driven other 3g's and theyre a lot easier.

There is NO air in the system, I've had a mechanic look at it and I had bleed it several times.

Dutchboy
03-22-2003, 07:23 PM
hey ghetto...

Is the pedal actually hard and you just cant stop
or is the pedal spongy???

if its spongy does pumping it up a few times bring the pedal up and let you stop better ???

What were the condition of the old pads on the car....was one worn way more than the other on each wheel....when the caliper is seized or the sliders are stuck the pad against the caliper will more than likely be worn a whole lot and the other one hardly at all...

Give us al the info you can on the situation like how hard the pedal acutally is and does the ebrake work..

MAke sure that when you put brakes on that you lubricate the sliders and the back of the pads so they can move easily....

MrBen
03-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Pedal is spongy. I haven't tried pumping it while the car is on, I guess I'll have to try that. Both sides were worn equally, but I know the left caliper had the gasket ripped up and crap but it was put it back on there anyway. It had dirt in there. The ebrake works like a charm. It was never lubricated or anything because everything looked ok.

I'm thinking I should take it somewhere other than my guy down at the shop that I've been loyal to.

anchovies
03-23-2003, 12:38 AM
You said you put in new shoes, did you adjust it correctly. You might want to try that again. The shoes as close to the drum as possible but still letting the drums spin freely.
And try gravity bleeding it.

Dutchboy
03-23-2003, 08:42 AM
I would lubricate the sliders using brake lube...and check the rear brake shoes to see if there adjusted right..

When i bought my car the brakes were shitty just like you describe and my sliders were binding and the back adjusters werent working correctly ....so this created a really hard braking situation for me...but i put new calipers on and adjusted the back brakes and now they work just right.

BEn

AZmike
03-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by anchovies
You said you put in new shoes, did you adjust it correctly. You might want to try that again. The shoes as close to the drum as possible but still letting the drums spin freely.
And try gravity bleeding it.

Our drum brakes are self-adjusting. After disassembling the rear brakes, no matter how you reassemble them, pumping the brake pedal for a while will set the shoes to the correct position automatically.

MrBen
03-23-2003, 10:58 AM
It's pouring down rain and I dont know how to adjust or replace everything... I think I'll take it down to Midas and tell them whats going on. They've been good to people I know (Lifetime replacement of mufflers) and brakes, so I'll just swing by there. Thanks a lot for your help dutchboy... now I know it's not just me. Thanks again

anchovies
03-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
Our drum brakes are self-adjusting. After disassembling the rear brakes, no matter how you reassemble them, pumping the brake pedal for a while will set the shoes to the correct position automatically.

If the springs are still good...then yes.
If it's really that much self-adjusting, then you won't need an adjusting bolt back there :D

AZmike
03-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Mike, doesn't the self-adjusting spring spin the same adjusting bolt that you're talking about?

I'd never seen those springs fail, but I'm sure its possible.

I suppose a good way to test the while system would be to put the car up on 4 jackstands and have someone verfiy that all four corners are grabbing.

Dutchboy
03-24-2003, 07:27 AM
its very unlikely that the spring itself has failed but the little arm that is supposed to turn the adjusting bolt may not be doing its job...mine wasnt able to turn the adjuster becasuse it had been bent out away from the adjuster to much and couldnt hold it back from unajusting itself after a bit of driving......

My back brakes needed to be adjusted every week until i tore the whole system apart and bent the arm were its supposed to go....now i havent had a problem at all.....except that i need new shoes very soon.

Ben

MrBen
03-26-2003, 03:41 PM
I just got back from Walts. Both rear cyclinders were out! He said it's common for them to go out an guaranteed the work for a year. Now I can stop! YEA!