PDA

View Full Version : 89 dx resonator removal

trippyflippy05
03-19-2003, 08:09 PM
hey I recently had a magnaflow muffler on my 89 accord dx. it has a nice deep tone but the sound level isn't as loud as i'd like it to be. the solution i am looking at is the removal of my resonator but i want to try to get a little info on it before i start anything. if anyone could give me info on the location, removal, and/or the amount of time it might take i would appreciate it. thanks

2old_honda
03-19-2003, 08:24 PM
I dont think there is one on a carbed car. If there is it would be behind the passenger side fender

trippyflippy05
03-19-2003, 08:29 PM
alright ill keep checking. thanks

A20A1
03-19-2003, 08:33 PM
? All our exhaust have a Resonator... I think it is after the cat... but I'm not entirely sure since it's been so long from the time i removed mine. It looks like an enlarged section of pipe. You can tell the difference between the cat and the res cause the cat will be much larger and has a heat shield and flanges. the resonator is sort of built right into the pipe. So your best bet would be to make a cat-back exhaust if you intend to get rid of the resonator...

2old_honda
03-19-2003, 08:39 PM
wait, were you talking about exhaust resonator or intake resonator?

trippyflippy05
03-19-2003, 08:42 PM
the exhaust resonator is what i want to remove.

trippyflippy05
03-19-2003, 08:44 PM
i don't have the money for a cat back right now so i'll prolly have the shop, where i had the muffler installed, take it out. thanks for the replies

2old_honda
03-19-2003, 09:28 PM
you can have the cat removed also

86LX
03-20-2003, 08:46 AM
I have an 86 i just recently has the cat and resonator removed and had 2.25" pipe put all the way through. that is the way you should go. It is really loud people can hear me coming form about 4 blocks away

mindlos
03-20-2003, 09:38 AM
I wanna gut my cat but there is a lot of bonded rust. Makes me really :mad: ...

AvgWhtMale
03-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Don't gut or remove your cat. It's there for a reason. If you want more power or sound, get a high-flow cat. Removing it is just irresponsible.

A20A1
03-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Chashhhhhhhhhh... I've been branded.

IRRESPONSIBLE

---
I dunno though after a few minuets of my own exhausdt you realize you can do without that extra 5hp from a header back exhaust... I'm thinking of getting a high flow cat from some larger vehicle that has a 2.5" diameter stock piping... then just go from there.

mindlos
03-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by AvgWhtMale
Don't gut or remove your cat. It's there for a reason. If you want more power or sound, get a high-flow cat. Removing it is just irresponsible.
:huh:

Not an option .... right now ..... or maybe ever ....

89AccordLXI666
03-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Hey mindlos i noticed in your signiture pic thing, that your car appears to be carbed and noticed the intake on it, looks sweet, i got one to on my 86 Accord carbed 5 speed LX... did u make the special adapter your self that goes over the carb or did u buy it somewhere, although I don't think they sell n e thing like that, but yeah i think it looks cool... ;-)....... Well hey I wanna get a high-flow cat but where can I get one cheap? and where can I get a good or atleast descent one? Thanks

mindlos
03-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks dude. That box came off a civic (89-91) at the wrecker. Mantis noticed it then we all took to the modding to fit it. The lid is normally black so I had to sand it (was in bad shape actually). I'm still gonna get a few grades of sandpaper and remove all those strokes from the power tool then it will be baby smooth. As far as I'm concerned its both form and function.

I'm sure somebody here knows about high flow "cats" coz I sure dont.