PDA

View Full Version : What are speaker level inputs?

dave86hatch
03-19-2003, 08:28 PM
I was just wondering what speaker level inputs were when using an amp. I've heard it produces lower quality sound.

Strahan
03-19-2003, 09:56 PM
You get signal to an amplifier in basically two ways, low level (preamp) and speaker level. Speaker level is an audio signal that has already been amplified and will have to be processed before reamplification - i.e. raw factory speaker wires. Preamp, or low level is a nonamplified signal generally carried on composite (RCA) cable. I don't know the exact facts, but speaker level connection is generally considered lower quality than preamp connection and carries a higher risk of noise contamination of the signal.

86hatchbackLXi
03-20-2003, 06:58 PM
thats correct speaker level inputs will produce less sound quality and its also extra wires to run. get yourself a nice deck with pre-amp outputs 3v or better

89AcCOrDmike
03-20-2003, 07:19 PM
pre amp is DEFINATELY the way to go......get away from speaker inputs, it is nothing but trouble......the preamps are just two little rca wires that stick out the back of your radio.....you can get a decent deck with them for pretty cheap

Bobs89LXi
03-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Strahan is essentially correct. Preamp inputs are high impedence (typically around 1000 ohms), designed for low level signals from the head unit. These signals are fed directly into the front end (preamp) stage of the amp. Speaker level inputs are designed to take a signal from the speaker outputs of a head unit not equipped with pre-outs and impedence matches them to the front end of the amp. Preamp inputs are preferred over speaker level inputs due to distortion generated by the head unit drivers.