PDA

View Full Version : Who here has had cat problems?

RU MAN
03-20-2003, 05:13 PM
I want to know what your car do when your cat want bad?

I have a Fuel inj motor, which runs good. It burns no oil, has good power(not as much as it did 20k ago). The only problems I'm have is bad gas milage(24-25mpg), and at stops with it drive it the idle is way to low and runs rough.

Things I've done:
Replace front motor mount(others are ok)
Cleaned air filter(cone k&n)
Used injector cleaner(just gas treatment)
Checked for computer codes(shop told me they did)
Upped my idle(idler scewer

THe shop told me it was probably the cat. I really don't believe that, but next week when I get my headers put on I'm going to get a new cat put on just in case.

What else could it be? Or do i just have to live with it.......:rant:

Is there a idle module? Or something like that.

THanks for the help.

danronian
03-20-2003, 05:37 PM
I would try replacing the spark plug wires and check the timing. Mine did the same thing until it didn't pass emissions, the shop said my timing was badly off and that the one plug wire was broken and now it doesn't hesitate and has a smoother idle. Before the car also got 24 to 25 mpg, I also heard that the cone filters can screw up idle buy I haven't whitnessed it myself.

2old_honda
03-20-2003, 07:45 PM
yeah, my cat used to jump up on the kitchen table when we were eating, but we sprayed it with water and he stopped doing it.

'A20A3'
03-20-2003, 09:11 PM
i'd say before buying a new cat, (assuming you have the PGM-FI motor), buy some fuel injector cleaner. i had a real rough idle, it was to the point where it would almost stall. buy some fuel injector cleaner and try it though. see if it does anything.

'A20A3'
03-20-2003, 09:12 PM
damn i'm stupid...you already did that.. i need to stop skimming this shit and actually read...i feel so fucking stupid

Mike's89AccordLX
03-20-2003, 09:22 PM
All I have to say is get a straight pipe. Guys have straight pipes and girls have cats. :lol j/k

RU MAN
03-21-2003, 07:38 AM
I forgot to add:

-New Timing Belt
-Newer wires, with newer plugs

Also, it gets REALLY bad when i turn my lights on.:mad:

I did some reading, and i came up with it might be a bad ground(starter, CD player), PVC.

Any other remarkes?

bobafett
03-21-2003, 09:44 AM
not sure exactly, but if it gets real bad then, it could be your alternator is just weak? have you had to replace the battery at all lately?

danronian
03-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Did you check the timing?

AZmike
03-23-2003, 10:51 AM
You can test your catalytic converter for a clog by drilling two small holes, one near the front and the other near the back. If it feel like more air is coming out of the front hole than the rear hole then your cat is clogged. The bigger the difference in leaks, the bigger the clog.

Strahan
03-23-2003, 11:32 AM
This cat has problems.. hehe (http://www.nischan.com/cat.mpg)