PDA

View Full Version : Half shaft questionI re

danronian
03-20-2003, 05:59 PM
I recently replaced both half shafts on my car and after I did that I noticed that the car vibrates at certain RPM's. The one new shaft, the shorter right side one, didnt have a cylindrical rubber part on it which the old shaft did have, I believe that would be a harmonic dampner type thing but the manual for the car says only some of the automatics have them on the left longer shaft. Has anyone else had or has heard of this problem?:huh:

ACCORD EX
03-21-2003, 02:11 AM
my car is a manual ! and i have it on the shorter shaft !
yes ! this vibrations could be because if a misaligned harmonic damper or a missing one !

can somebody confirm this on an auto !

MIKE

shepherd79
03-21-2003, 03:52 AM
i don't think that is the problem.
i replaced mine twice and never had this kind of problem.

danronian
03-21-2003, 10:15 AM
I dont know why my car is vibrating then, because right after I replaced the half shafts it started to do it, and the only difference between the new and old shafts was that the rubber balancer wasnt on the new one. Does anyone know if they sell kits to put them on without disassembling the outer joint?

markmdz89hatch
03-25-2003, 09:42 AM
I say get an allignment. Anytime you mess with stuff on the front end, it's always suggested to get the allignment b/c even the slightest little adjustment can make the difference between vibrations and pulling, and a nice smooth ride. I've never seen the little rubber dealie-o on any of the longer shafts (auto or stick), and sometimes it's not even on the shorter one when you get a rebuilt one. Sounds kinda bad, but make sure that they gave you the wrong axle b/c it's possible that you have correct longer axle. Last time I replaced them on my '88 they handed me the box with the manual part number on it, and the box was sealed, and after I got home, installed it, and drove on it for a little while, let's just say bad things happened. Come to find out, they had given me an auto axle, and that the part/box was mislabeled.

Good luck bro, and make sure you let us know what the resolution was to this.