PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is up with my Hood??

89AccordLXI666
03-20-2003, 09:48 PM
yeah anywayz I had to replace my hood cuz I forgot to lock it and when I went about 50MPH on the highway the hood came flying up and it got bent and the hinges where all messed up... so n e ways I went to the junk yard to get a new one, and also got the lever lock mechinism 2 come with it.... now the only problem I'm having is the stupid hood not closing and the lock thing isn't letting me push it in 2 lock it.... It's not the black lever that's all messed up, it's those two little metal things that supposed to push down when you push the hood down in order to lock it..... Now how the hell do I fix that? I really want to get that corrected a/s/a/p can anyone help me out here??? Thanks guy's lataz :bow:

3G Jester
03-20-2003, 10:31 PM
how much did you pay for your hood? and where you from?

89AccordLXI666
03-21-2003, 05:20 AM
ummmm I only paid $50.00 for the stupid hood at the Junk yard in Hudson Mass called Riches Auto.... I bought it from them.,... the hood is excellent shape and it matches the same color as my car which is a redish/Maroon color..... Um does anyone know what I can do to fix the primary latches on the hood latching thing... It's not the secondary latch that has the black lever, it the two little metal secondary latches that move down in order for the hood to lock, can anyone help me out here? Thanks guy's you guy's are #1 :-)

88 Accord DX
03-21-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
...it matches the same color as my car which is a redish/Maroon color.....

is your car burgundy too?!?!?

ACCORD EX
03-21-2003, 10:08 AM
thats why i like the hoods that open the other way ! :D

anyway i am not into hoods much ! but here is a page from the service manual ( it's all i can find on hoods ) hope this helps ! )

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/hood.jpg

MIKE

nebztal82
03-21-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah that happened to me too it wouldn't lock down i just loaded that locking mechanism w/ some WD40 and it was good to go

89AccordLXI666
03-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Well I ended up taking out the stupid latch mechinism, and just tied the hood up for now.... I was thinking about using Hood pins.... just by drilling a hole on the passenger and drivers side of the hood towards the front of coarse, now is that possible to do with a stock hood and can I do that, cuz I really wanna, what's your opinion on that? Let me know... Lataz :D

MrBen
03-21-2003, 09:23 PM
I dont see why not, I saw a CRX with that. It looked like shit but if thats what you want to do then go for it.

89AccordLXI666
03-21-2003, 09:35 PM
I guess it will look ok, I have never seen a 3gee with hood pins on with a stock hood on, unless they had a carbon fiber hood, but I'm sick of the stupid latches so I guess I'm going to go for the hood pins instead... Hey atleast it's different, and who knows.... maybe it will turn out to look nice with it... I won't know until I try right..... Thanks 4 the info bro.... Lataz

MrBen
03-21-2003, 09:38 PM
I guess depending on the style and stuff it might look good. Just dont leave them chrome, I say paint them. Just an opinion though.

89AccordLXI666
03-21-2003, 09:41 PM
GhettoAccord I do agree with having them painted, they will probably look better... what I'm going to do is leave the m chrome at first and see what they look like and if they look good with chrome I'll keep em chrome... but if not I will paint it the color of my car which is that red/maroon color

MrBen
03-21-2003, 09:46 PM
The CRX that had it on there was an 86, and they were chrome. It just didnt work for me leaving them chrome-- on the 86's of the Accord and CRX there wasn't all that chrome trim, so it just looks off. Keep us posted though, I want to see you prove my original statement wrong :D

89AccordLXI666
03-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey GhettoAccord, I will definitly kkep you guy's posted on the hood pins.... I didn't end up going today because I felt very sick, but I am planning on going tomorrrow after work to the auto store and getting them..... I am also planning on putting them on either tomorrow or Monday and I will take pics and hopefully some one can post em up for me, so u guy's can see what it will look like.... Well until then.... c-ya! Lataz

2old_honda
03-22-2003, 10:13 PM
you should be able to adjust the latch up/down and side to side to get it to line up with the hood latch. I think if you moved it up it might work.

danronian
03-22-2003, 10:15 PM
When i went to test drive mine that happened, the two jaws not locking, so the previous owner sprayed it with wd-40, tapped it, hammered on it, nothing worked, so he just went to the junkyard and bought a another latch off of a accord with less miles, now it works just fine. With the hood pins with lanyards the hood still wont go all the way down since those are just for keeping the hood down in case the lock fails. The hood pins that do keep the hood all the way down (D-zus fasteners, about $35 a piece) require room under the hood that are cars dont have so I would just go with fixing the latch then getting the hood-pins. Thats just IMO which was educated from many issues of Car Craft.

markmdz89hatch
03-23-2003, 06:31 AM
yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with danronian. I just bought another 3G, and it had that same problem. All I did was hose it down with some sort of lubricant/pennetrant (PB Blaster), then get a screw driver and put it in the latch just where the hook from the hood goes, and use some force to push the mechanism to closed/open/closed/open.... ya' get the picture. Then I tried closing the hood, no good. Then, even though it's not suggested to do all the time, I **accidently** dropped the fucker from fuly open, and BAM hood shut. Did that a few more times, now I can just set the hood down, give a little push, and presto, works mint again.

If all else fails, I'm in agreement that you should just pick up a new latch. They're cheap at the j/y, and safety's on your side that way.

MrBen
03-23-2003, 11:43 AM
I would have to agree. Hood pins really are a last resort. Hood pins do fit on our cars, FYI.

88accord
03-23-2003, 03:48 PM
ive got hood pins on my 3g it looks ok but i only did it b/c my
saftey latch dont work.

89AccordLXI666
03-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Yeah I think I'm gonna have 2 agree with you guy's on this one... I think I'm gonna pick up a new on from the junk yard and see if that works, and if still fails well then I'll be forced to shoot myself in the head and give up on it.... LOL Just kidding about shooting myself... that was just a figure of speech, meaning I'll get very frustrated and give up on it..... but n e who, do u think I can return the one I got from the junk yard and exchange it for a different 1? Thanks guy's for the help... Lataz