PDA

View Full Version : vacuum lines & gas mileage

diego_89accordlx
03-21-2003, 10:51 PM
i heard from a mechanic that removing vacuum lines hurts your gas mileage. can some of the people who have done the vac line mod to their cars tell me if their gas mileage changed much?

A20A1
03-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Did you actually go to a mechanic and ask him about removing vacuum line from a carb engine?

But to answer your question yes it does affect gas mileage.
In simple terms
1) You are increasing the flow of gas
2) Chances are you did the vacuum mod because you like to step on the gas and drive hard. That alone sucks more gas then conservtive driving.

So if you are worried about gas then just leave it alone... if you want a litle more responsive car, a little more powerful car... then do the vacuum mod.

Also dumping the vacuum lines will basicly bypass the emission controls except the cat. So you'll be screwed come time for a emissions test if you happen to live in a place that does testing.

shepherd79
03-22-2003, 02:28 AM
i agree with Mike. it does hurt a little. i would say i lost about 5 miles per gallon, but i don't care. i like responsive car.

diego_89accordlx
03-23-2003, 07:14 PM
thanx a20a1. um a few things thou:

first i have a friend who is a mechanic, and i aksed him just to see what he'd say.

second i havent done the mod yet because i wasn't sure exactly how it worked, and i don't want to loose all my cool vacuum operated stuff, like cruise and electric choke

i live in minnesota, which means no emissions testing and i need that electric choke for about 6 months of the year :lol

A20A1
03-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Well the choke will still work.... you just might not have A/C and a unresponsive Cruise control.

diego_89accordlx
03-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Yeah, i wanna keep all my stuff thou, so i haven't messed with it. and btw a20a1 is your avatar the guy from akira?

A20A1
03-24-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by diego_89accordlx
Yeah, i wanna keep all my stuff thou, so i haven't messed with it. and btw a20a1 is your avatar the guy from akira?

Read my sig... :D

but yeah it's from Akira.