PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting driveshafts?

thegreatdane
03-23-2003, 04:54 AM
How does the driveshafts disconnect from the tranny/differential? Do they just pop out when i pull them and can they be disconnected from the tranny and reinserted without replacing any parts? Im about to unhook my engine thats why i need to now :pimp:
Also i have to remove the long driveshaft first when the engine is still mounted and then the short one when its raised on the hoist, right?

A20A1
03-23-2003, 04:57 AM
hmm well they pop out... it takes quite a bit of force if there is a lot of tension on the parts because of the angle the engine is in when you raise it up.

Are you lifting the engine out without removing the wheel hub... if thats what it is called?

You might also want to check out the how-to section.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7316

thegreatdane
03-23-2003, 05:17 AM
I dunno exactly what way im gonna do it... I would have to borrow a bearing puller to do the wheel hub(?) thing, and the closest one to borrow is like 8 miles away...

A20A1
03-23-2003, 05:25 AM
K- well then do it like it shows in the How-to... the CV joints may or may not come undone while lifting the motor... but fortunately the CV boots didn't tear when I was poping out my axles.

getting the motor out is a lot easier then puting it back in... In my opinion

thegreatdane
03-23-2003, 05:32 AM
So if I dont destroy the boots I wouldnt have to replace anything when reinserting them? No rings or stuff like that?? Did you just use a flat screwdriver to pop them out?

A20A1
03-23-2003, 05:41 AM
Well my boot's didn't break... I'm not sure what it looks like under the boot.. but I have a simple picture from what I could feel. If the boot does break then you should replace the boot.
I used a large flat head to pop the axles out... and yes you remove the longer driveshaft first, but getting the heigth and angle of the engine right is the tricky part... and there is really no easy way to tell you what to do other then to say go slowly.

thegreatdane
03-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Oh, and one more thing... I cant seem to remove the speedodrive from the tranny, removed the only visible bolt, but it's stuck! I dont feel like using a big hammer to loosen it, and risk smashing something inside it, so how do I remove it? And thanks for your time, man!

A20A1
03-23-2003, 05:51 AM
? you mean the cable? If you just want to remove the cable the you have to remove the CLIP first.

Look around you should be able to see what I'm talking about.

oh there might be a pull=over boot concealing the clip so if there is a boot on the cable near the tranny end, then slide the boot up and see if the clip is under neath.

thegreatdane
03-23-2003, 05:55 AM
Yea, I know how to remove the cable, but I wanna remove the whole assembly. Or else i would have to remove the cable and the PS hoses, but removing the PS hoses makes the PS oil float out... But maybe i shouldnt worry about that?

Yea, there is a small boot covering the clip but it aint what i wanna remove. At the moment that is...

thegreatdane
03-23-2003, 06:06 AM
Fuck it, i'll just disconnect the PS hoses and plug them with something, ohh yea and keep my fingers crossed. But not while working, it would make it damn hard :D

Thanks for helping! :bow:

meohmy01
04-14-2003, 04:41 PM
ok im in the same delema right now. how do you disconnect the spedo thing? im also going to start disconnecting the drive axles. is it easier to take them completley out or just disconnect them from the tranny? and are there any specialty tools needed to completley remove them? ill have to read that how to thing when i don't have a head ach. i also have a complete parts car so im not worried about breaking things first time around.

meohmy01
04-14-2003, 04:45 PM
also how did you guys deal with the a/c stuf

POS carb
04-15-2003, 09:44 AM
don't pull it from the shaft, you can screw up the spider in the boot. Easiest way is to get the flat end of a tire-iron and wedge it between the axle and the tranny and make one long lever action and pop it out. Oh and drain the tranny first or you're going to bathe in oil

meohmy01
04-15-2003, 11:23 AM
ok. any idea on any questions that i asked?

ACCORD EX
04-15-2003, 11:24 AM
yes ! i did it like POS CARB said using a large prybar ! or you can us a large screw driver !

MIKE

meohmy01
04-15-2003, 11:33 AM
i know you have to pry it off. however that's not what im asking.

1. how do you disconnect the speedo thing?

2. is it easier in the long run to completley remove the driveaxles or to do what is represented in the how to

3. if i were to completley remove the axles do i need any specialty tools

meohmy01
04-15-2003, 12:40 PM
how the hell do you separate a ball joint?

ACCORD EX
04-15-2003, 02:57 PM
check teh clutch how to too ! every thing is there about getting teh transmission out ( which is very similar to getting the engine out )

anyway !

1. to remove the speedo meter cable just remove the rubber cap upwards , pull the cable out ! be sure not to lose the clip at the end !

2. i would remove the Drive axles completely !

3. no special tools are needed !

4. to get the balljoint out loosen the nut ( not all the way out ! )
and hit it at the side ( don't damage teh boot ) with a big hammer and it will pop out ! or you can do it the right way and get a balljoint seperator ( sold at any auto tools shops )
i do mine with the big hammer and it works fine !:D
BTW you don't need to remove the damper fork or the uppwe balljoints ! just ask someone to pull teh axle while you are prying teh axle from the tranny !

good luck !

MIKE

meohmy01
04-15-2003, 03:40 PM
i got the axles out. much simpler than i had anticipated. the boots are toast on 3 out of the 4 ball joints. (like that when i started). i just disconnected the upper ball joints and let everything tilt off to the side while i pried the axles out. i didn't remove them completley since i don't have a socket big enough. so they are just sort of resting there. the speedo cable i have pried and pulled on forever. it just won't budge.

meohmy01
04-15-2003, 03:44 PM
it's possible to replace just the boots on the ball joints right? any idea how much that is going to run me?

thegreatdane
04-16-2003, 06:07 AM
You need the remove the boot on the cable, and then you should see a little clip. Remove it and the cable is very easy to remove. Dont pull the whole assembly out, cus you probably can't ( i couldn't...). Did you get it off?

ACCORD EX
04-16-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by meohmy01
it's possible to replace just the boots on the ball joints right? any idea how much that is going to run me?

i don't know if they are sold seperat ! but you could always get them from an old worn out balljoint from a junkyard or a mechanic !

MIKE

meohmy01
04-16-2003, 11:01 AM
ok. i have a parts car that was hit hard in the front that im taking the engine out of. i know my ball joints are good so id prefer them over the parts car.

meohmy01
04-16-2003, 11:02 AM
what clip? the thing that's shaped like the letter omega? i took that off and still can't get it out.

ACCORD EX
04-16-2003, 01:20 PM
move the boot up , get the clip out ! pull the cable out !
should be easy , or maybe the gears got stuck ! move the car a bit in gear ! :D

MIKE