PDA

View Full Version : integrated control unit faulty?

yjdave
03-23-2003, 07:29 AM
i recently bought an 87 lxi hatchback, and have an issue with my door open and seat belt warnings. if the vehicle is running, and you open a door, ( letting a child out at school ), the door open light and chime will come on, but they won't shut off. if you undo a seat belt with it running, the seat belt indicator and chime will do the same thing. you have to turn off the vehicle to get them to reset. does this sound like the integrated controller is bad, or is there another possibile culprit? if so, could someone please post a pic of the controller, so i can know what i,m looking for when i go boneyard shopping. thanks guys..

AZmike
03-23-2003, 11:55 AM
It sounds like your guess is right. The integrated control unit is responsible for oil pressure, seat belt, key alarms among other things. It's the small box mounted at an angle behind the stereo close to the floor. It's about an inch high maybe four inches wide and maybe three inches deep. I think it has the chimes inside so listen for where the noises are coming from and you should be able to find it. You'll need a 10 mm socket or wrench to get it out.

yjdave
03-23-2003, 02:06 PM
thanks mike

dXsquared
03-23-2003, 02:18 PM
another question.. if i take that out, and disconect all the clips.. will it charm like mad?? or will if just not charm at all.. like when headlights are on and doors are open and the other stuff???

Travis

AZmike
03-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Since the chimes are in it (I think) you just won't have any noise at all. You'll loose some other stuff too if you remove it. I could list it all for you if you're interested. Why do you want to take it out?

dXsquared
03-24-2003, 03:09 PM
weight loss...

just kidding.. umm.. i dunno... i hate bells

a list would be cool

Travis

AZmike
03-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda manual lists these functions:
oil pressure alarm, seat belt alarm, key alarm, key light timer, light on warning and sidemarker light flasher circuits

The headlight chime has probably saved me from a dead battery a few times on rainy days. I'm not sure if I would trade that feature alone for the <1 pound of weight savings. It looks like you might loose your hazard function as well.

dXsquared
03-24-2003, 05:01 PM
yah.. ill keep it.. i was just wondering

being inquizitive

Travis

yjdave
03-26-2003, 02:14 PM
swapped out the controller.. didn't help.. my chime actually comes from a box overhead by the rear view mirror. i disconnected that, and took the instrument cluster loose, unhooked the seat belt light, and the door ajar light, and voila.... no more light show and annoying noise. :D