PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Bulbs

K DASH
03-23-2003, 07:57 PM
does anyone know what are the type of bulbs on our headlights? Not the headlight assembly itself, but the type of bulbs, one of mines blew and I just wanna replace them with something better.

A20A1
03-23-2003, 08:13 PM
We have a sealed beam... that means you have to replace the entire light instead of only the bulb inside.

If you had the H4 conversion then you can replace the bulb by itself.

Sylvania makes some colored sealed beams.... (blue) or regular but brighter white sealed beams.

and they make some nice bulbs for the H4 conversion.

K DASH
03-23-2003, 08:21 PM
oh, so I would have to get this?

here (http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm)

Is this headlight assembly and bulb? the H6054 ST model right?

A20A1
03-23-2003, 08:23 PM
the link doesn't work

K DASH
03-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Sorry, I edited it. should be fine now

A20A1
03-23-2003, 08:38 PM
H6054 ST
yep... it doesn't specify if it was a sealed beam upgrade or a bulb upgrade.
If you get it and it doesn't have the housing... you can buy the housing from Toucan or Matrix.

I had the cool blue lamps before... they were a nice upgrade.

K DASH
03-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Oh, It shouldnt be hard to know if it comes with the housing...(the large box obviously)

Anything I need to know about changing the housing, as ive never done it before.

MrBen
03-23-2003, 09:06 PM
Pretty self explanitory. Unscrew the two screws slightly, take off the spring in the upper corner, take out the bulb housing. Unscrew the frame and metal piece from the bulb housing. Throw it away and put the new bulb housing in the metal frame and repeat the process in reverse. Once this is done, follow instructions form a Haynes manual for headlight adjustment.

A20A1
03-23-2003, 09:12 PM
headlight adjustment... hmm.... I just adjusted the lights to suit my night driving needs and to keep oncoming trafic from being blinded... one bulb hits the road nice and close and the other is overlapping it slightly further down the road. I think it works nicely... I suppose just to have it legal i should check with the book... but I'd put myself in more danger having the lights pointing some other way.

whats safer for me is safer for you. :D
...something like that.

MrBen
03-23-2003, 09:16 PM
I did something to that effect when I put my bulbs in at night. It was.. different. Kind of nice though. Now I have it so they are angled down more and straight ahead, not pointing in. Works good with the set of bulbs I have.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-24-2003, 04:19 PM
In our right side of the road driving conditions the lights are adjusted in such a fashion as to have the left light illuminating a portion of the road surface closer to the car than the right light (avoid blinding other drivers). The left light is also pointing slightly inward to avoid blinding the drivers in the opposing lane. The right head light is supposed to illuminate a portion of the side of the road as well as an area slightly further than the area illuminated by the left head light. On my moms car you can actually see a diagonal illumination pattern on the road with the lights on. :D

3axap.

MrBen
03-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Same with my mom's car. Not on mine :D I enjoy blinding drivers... payback.

Microstreak
03-24-2003, 07:06 PM
i got the sylvania "cool blue" sealed beams, ther not evn blue :confused: , hehe funny shit. BUT they are pretty bright for halogens and they have a odd but nice beam pattern. Im happy with them, much brighter than my old headlights which i used to have my highbeams on all the time b/c i couldn't see shit at nite.

overall, if any of you guys want headlamps that are good, but don't look rice, or are blue and get less light output, then i recommend these, im happy with them...

MrBen
03-24-2003, 07:16 PM
I saw those at Fred Meyer. Seemed reasonable.

K DASH
03-24-2003, 08:01 PM
I got exactly what Microstreak got today, the Sylvania "Cool Blue". If you read their site, theyre not supposed to be blue which i dont want anyways. I installed them in like 15 minutes pretty straightforward. Theyre pretty damn bright, the light pattern is sorta like an upside down "T". All in all, i recommend them, especially if you get them for free like i did.