PDA

View Full Version : the smell of oil......

'A20A3'
03-24-2003, 05:48 PM
i got a question. my car is, underneath the hood at least, mechanically sound. except for one thing. everytime i drive it and the engine spins over(estimated)4k, when i stop and park my car and get out, i faintly smell oil coming from the engine. latley i have been checking my oli level to see if im leaking, but hell no. does anyone know what this might be?:confused: :confused:

i love my car and i don't want it to do this...please help:sadwave:

netfreak
03-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Could it be oil that has leaked out somewhere before and is now burning from the heat? I'd recommend cleaning your engine bay.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Hello,

Because these engines are pretty old, they tend to accumulate oil and grease on various surfaces over the years. I have a similar problem where my I find oil drips under the car after a drive and a burnt oil smell about the hood area. I bought some engine degreaser and gave the engine a good cleaning and it seems to have helped. I also don't smell such a strong odor of burnt oil after a drive. The main area where most of the crud was on my engine was between the exhaust manifold and the block. This area is tough to access but you can spray engine degreaser in there pretty easily and then flush it out. You could try to clean the engine and see if that helps your problem.

P.S.: I am also lacking any oil leaks or anything of the sort.

3axap.

'A20A3'
03-24-2003, 06:54 PM
yeah. i got that degreaser today. you guys were right. right by where the headers connect with the engine, in those little crevices, was a bunch of black, caked-on grease. i spayed the stuff all over it, let it sit for about 45 minutes, rinsed it all off with the hose(i did all this in the morning so my engine was cold) and i sprayed more and then i rinsed it again. on my way to school, i hit it pretty hard a couple of times, and when i parked at school......whooooo hoooooo!!! no oil smell.:super:

thanks you guys. without your help i would've gone insane trying to fix this simple problem.