PDA

View Full Version : How to get #1 valve to TDC????????

Chrome_thangs
05-29-2002, 11:12 PM
I'm wanting to adjust my valves, but the Haynes manual wasn't very clear on how to bring them to TDC. What would be the simplest way to do this?

A20A1
05-30-2002, 12:43 AM
Take off the timing belt cover
Look at the cam gear... there is the word "UP" on one of the spokes of the cam gear...

Now imagine the cam gear as a compass... the "UP" = North

You will see 2 grooves cut into the gear inbetween the teeth. One groove is on the West and the other on East... When the valve cover is off the 2 grooves should be flush with the surface of the head. The word up should be pointing up.
This means the #1 cylinder is at TDC.

There is alot more info I left out... please don't start till you have the complete how to. visit the How to section for more info.

accordlx
05-30-2002, 10:17 AM
The engine is not at top dead center until the rotor is pointing to the number 1 cylinder on the distributor (#1 is the cylinder closest to the belts and pulleys on the engine.)

Then use the method that A20A1 described

hondaman87
05-30-2002, 05:01 PM
in front of the engine below the distributer
(between the engine and the block there is a robber there remove the robber and on the flywheel there is a notch that says " TDC" and there is a little pointer by the way u need a drop light or a flash light to see, rotate the engine until u see the TDC mark, lign up the mark that says TDC to the pointer and there is ur top dead center

Chrome_thangs
06-03-2002, 08:25 PM
Can i just rotate the cam gear w/ my hand until the up points up, or do i need to do something special?

A20A1
06-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Don't rotate the cam gear by turning the cam gear...
You need to turn the crank bolt that is behind the front passenger side tire... turn the crank counter clock wise, and only turn it counter clock wise.

POS carb
06-12-2002, 03:46 PM
put a 17mm socket on a 3/8" ratchet and crank the motor over (counterclockwise so set the ratchet to "loosen") and watch the marks on the cam gear. There are 2 nicks in it that should be parallel to the head surface. If you are leaving the timing belt on them use the timing marks on the flywheel as your reference, they're much better.