PDA

View Full Version : I noticed a slight Dim in the battery light sign on the car????

89AccordLXI666
03-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Ok it was about 10:00pm and I was getting ready to bring my girlfriend home, and when we went in my car, of coarse I let it warm up a bit..... the thing I noticed was the battery indicator light was very very very dim that it was barely even on.... WTF does that mean? Is that just an error or what? Has n e one had this problem before? If anyone can explain this, please feel free to let me know.... I wanna find out what it could be ahead of time before it's too late for whatever may happen..... Also keep in mind I just got a brand spankin new battery about 3-4weeks ago, so I dunno, I'm sure one of ya's will have an answer... Thanks Lataz Guy's. :bow:

2old_honda
03-24-2003, 08:25 PM
I wouldnt worry about it if your charging system is working like it should.

mindlos
03-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Get a voltmeter and test the battery when the car is off and running. Should be 12.4-12.6 V and about 14.4V respectively. What happens to the light when you rev it? If that doesnt give you a clue you would need a load test. Is it possible the light always seems slightly illuminated and you just noticed it?....

djimass
03-25-2003, 07:23 AM
I had the same problem and I brouhgt it in for an alternator/battery/starter check. Turrned out I had bad diodes on my alternator. It was charging but only at 12 amps instead of 65 (70?). After I had my alternator changed, I never saw a dim battery light again. Maybe that's not the problem you have, but it's anther avenue for you to check.

89AccordLXI666
03-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Hey Guy's thanks for all the help..... I haven't noticed it doing that for a few days now... I highly doubted it was the battery in the 1st place, cuz it's brand spankin new.... not sure if it's the alternator, seems like the alternator is operating normally.... maybe I need to clean the connectors to the battery plus the wires... that could be it..... or is it possible it could be my stereo system, cuz My amp runs at 1,200 WATTS of power, so that could also be an issue... maybe I should get a capacitor and see if anything changes... thanks guy's for the tips.... Lataz :super:

chance
03-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi guys, newbie here...I was reading over the message and I'm having a similar problem. New battery, but light comes on...goes off when car is reved up pass 4500 rpm. And after not starting for a day or so, light is off. I'm guessing its the altenator?
Thanks for n e advice!

1988starter
03-25-2003, 03:58 PM
sounds like the alternator to me get a volt meter and put one end on each battery terminal see what it reads.

89AccordLXI666
03-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah my car is now fine... it isn't doing that anymore... but still don't understand why the battery light was just barely even on... it's as if it weren't really on but it was, ya know what I mean though right? Oh well, hey as long as it isn't doing it now, I'm happy.... Thanks guy's though for the help, it is greatly apreciated... Lataz

1988starter
03-26-2003, 08:09 PM
My ex's car was like that for a while but then the alternator died.