PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ground Kit

xbi0s
03-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Hey

I was reading in Sport Compact Car (Issue05) on an add for a ground kit for your motor...

It replaces the stock shit, and grounds it all out...

Question:

Is it just replacing the stock ground points (I.E., valve cover ground)?

If so... Im going to go out and make my own.,.. Buy gold plated solderless terminals, etc etc...

What gauge wire? I was thinking something along the lines of 4 gauge....

The magazine bragged (the add) about +5 ft/lbs and +5 HP...

I wanna ground it out just because it may be 2 or 3 Horses and its a very inexpensive mod.

shepherd79
03-25-2003, 03:57 AM
you are talking about this http://www.sunautomobile.com
the reason their ground wires are good is because they use 99.99% pure copper. i don't know if you can find coper wire in stores.

A20A1
03-25-2003, 04:20 AM
soldering the connector to the wires makes the best connection in my opinion... I had to do it on all my R/C motor wires nothing else would keep... later on I soldered the wires directly to the motor.

AccordEpicenter
03-25-2003, 02:54 PM
soldering is best but its hard to solder like freaking 8 gauge wire, so i use crimp connectors or set screw type... The set screw type are my fav (and most expensive) also dont remove your factory grounds, just add on to them, why remove somthing thats helping your ground as it is? I think you should ground the distributor, thermostat housing, valve cover and maybe the throttle body... try it around and see wut worx

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-25-2003, 03:16 PM
I would be interested in how that goes xbi0s as I read an article a while back saying that a lot of jap cars have poor grounding and adding extras is a good idea, they said anything up to four or five, been thinking about it for a while, but I don't know much about cars and prob couldn't tell if it made a difference anyway.

xbi0s
03-25-2003, 08:06 PM
I surely will try it, I went into an electronics store and low-and-behold they carry 4g copper wire...

Im going to buy gold plated terminals, crimp the wires in them, then solder them closed...

Should be a good project since my i fixed my radar detector...

AccordEpicenter
03-26-2003, 01:05 PM
yeah you should be set with anyhing 8 gauge or bigger, im working on it myself.

dXsquared
03-26-2003, 01:17 PM
i am also working on a custom ground setup.. i have the cables but no corectors and no time.. maybe this weekend ill be hookin it up

Travis