PDA

View Full Version : kehin or denso compressor ! ?

ACCORD EX
03-26-2003, 09:02 AM
hello everybody !

i am currently searching for a used compressor !

i have an A20A2 carbed 5 speed with a NIPPON DENSO compressor R12

can i put on a KEHIN compressor ?? i 'll refill with r12 ???
is it a direct fit ??

thanx a lot guys !

MIKE

YK86
03-26-2003, 09:09 AM
All the A/C places I talked to said the Keihin ones are crap so you might want to stick with the Nippon Denso. I hear they are easier to retro fit as well.

SiR
03-26-2003, 09:10 AM
DENSO all the way!
To put the Kehin on, you have to get a different braket, but those compressors are 10 times worse then Denso (so i heard...)

You can get R12?

ACCORD EX
03-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by SiR

You can get R12?

in egypt i can get R12 for say 50$ , and r 134 for 180 $ !!!!

anyway do any other compressors from other cars fit ! ??

MIKE

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-26-2003, 09:31 AM
The Keihin also has different hoses, so you would have to get all new suction and discharge hoses as well. If you have a ND, stick with a ND. It's a much better compressor anyways. The Keihin's seize up like mad, lol.

Xulfiqar
03-26-2003, 10:36 AM
We can have any compressor custom fiitted into our cars here, for around 150$ max

Sanden 507 are a good choice
Diesel Kiki - are somewhat acceptable
Harrisson Air Research (kick ass)
Denso - the stock stuff - works great if the system is tip top
Keihin - a crackpot only prefers keihins over here. (they are pieces of shit put together)

I always prefer to put in the stock one. no big modifications..

AccordEpicenter
03-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Yeah the keihins have problems with r 134a conversions, they dont handle it all that well

DBMaster
03-26-2003, 01:18 PM
There is a retrofit kit available from Honda that allows you to switch to the Sanden compressor - much better than either of the ones they used on the 3g's. I got the kit four years ago. It is expensive - $750 for just the parts, but it comes with EVERYTHING. I also stuck with R12 as I have a permit to buy it.

As an option to switching to R134a try this:

http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/

I have done my research and this one looks a lot better than R134a. You will not be happy with the performance or equipment longevity if you switch to R134a.

ACCORD EX
03-27-2003, 02:04 AM
well thanx guys !
i am searching for denso now !

anyway how to properly test a used compressor ! ( junkyard )

i know i should test the coil > 3 - 4 ohms and test it with 9 V battery and check the bearing for smoothness !
anyother ideas !

thanx a lot guys ! you rock ! :) :super:

MIKE

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-27-2003, 08:38 AM
Your right, definitely check the stator coil resistance, and the pulley for any play or drag. The way I test the pressure is to hold my fingers completely over both holes and turn the compressor by hand. It should build up alot of pressure quickly and become very hard to turn. When you let your fingers off you'll hear a "phhsssss". If only a little bit of pressure builds up and it doesn't become hard to turn, I would pass on it and find another.

DBMaster, do you have a picture of the Sanden compressor? Cuz when I was looking for compressors at the junkyard the other day I saw one in a 3g that was neither a Keihin nor a Nippondenso. I knew there was some 3rd kind, and I think that may have been it. If it's supposed to be really good I may go back and pick that up if that's what it is (after seeing if it's any good or not, lol)

DBMaster
03-27-2003, 09:13 AM
I do not have a picture. Several years ago I did a web search and found a picture of the kit. The compressor I have is what Honda switched to after they were in the 4th of 5th gen Accords. The kit comes with the compressor, brackets, hoses, dryer, clamps, and belt. It actually uses the same belt, though.

It is supposed to be a much more durable compressor, though the A/C performance is not any different from the original. Given the fact that I was planning to keep my car for several more years and I can afford it I try to go with the best bet. In this case it was the upgrade kit staying with R-12. Going to R134a might be fine for a year or two, but I wanted this thing to last for a long time and blow the coldest air possible in our lovely 100 degree weather.

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Is it one of these ones?

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/FAA/65409.jpg

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/FAA/57350.jpg

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/FAA/57353.jpg

It didn't give a brand name with any of them, but they're listed for an 89 Accord, and they're not Keihin or ND.

:)

DBMaster
03-27-2003, 03:02 PM
It looks pretty similar to the one on top, but the kit in your pciture looks a bit more universal, especially the bracket parts and the drier.

The kit that was installed in mine looks like it came with the car, except for the obviously different compressor.

The original Keihin in my car went bad after about two years and was replaced under warranty. The second one was still working eight years later, but was having problems with the clutch. The front seal was leaking so I couldn't really do anything to fix it and I just went ahead with the big expense. Since that was nearly four years ago I feel like I made a good choice.

ACCORD EX
03-31-2003, 04:03 AM
well thanx guys for the inputs ! you are the best ! :super:

i wish i could find a used one !

thanx again !

MIKE