PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke // Engine Rattle

czechers
03-26-2003, 11:10 AM
OK, so I went out and bought an 89 Accord LXi. I know I got ripped off, $4K, but it was (I thought) in good shape, and has only 81K original miles. So its got lots of problems. The idol is like reeeeeally low at redlights, when the car is hot or the air is on especially. What can I do about that??? I tried the injector cleaner, 3 bottles and nothing. Then the glovebox door broke off... the chimes started to go crazy and sometimes not work, the interior lights dont come on all the way or at all with 2 out of the 4 doors being open, ive gone through 3 taillight bulbs.... the transmission either shifts waaaaaay to early, or slips. Can I mention that I have only had the car for 3 WEEKS????? But HERE IS MY MAJOR PROBLEM. Get on the thruway and drive... then slow for a toll or exit ramp, then hit the gas again *POOF* the biggest puff of smoke and the car rattles like a baby toy. Sometimes it rattles uphill, but other than that I dont notice it.... or the smoke other than when Ive said on the expressway. ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS??? Anyone know a good mechanic in the Orlando Area? I have 17 monthly payments to make and I want this car to last. HELP!!! Thanks for your time, lol. :)

AccordEpicenter
03-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Well alot of that stuff can be fixed, but what kind of smoke is it? Blue, black, grey, white or what? Also does the car burn alot of oil? How much does it go thru? If it idles low id open up the idle adjustment on the throttle body.

netfreak
03-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Get the transmission flushed and all fluids changed. I strongly recommend converting to a 5-speed. I have an automatic with 245,000 km and my tranny is going to kick the bucket very soon (loud bangs when it goes in reverse, slipping constantly in drive). Other than that, get a general tune up done with new spark plugs and wires, check the voltage of the alternator, and other simple stuff. Also check the engine bay and under the car for oil spots and stuff. You might have to get gaskets replaced.

netfreak
03-26-2003, 01:11 PM
If the car shakes a lot, you might have bad motor mounts...

But anyway, get a mechanic to take a look at it. Whatever he says needs replacing, go buy the parts and do it yourself :D

goldyaccord
03-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Motor mounts are the common stuff that go out rather soon. Change em.

shepherd79
03-26-2003, 04:34 PM
blue smoke is easy to fix. Blue smoke = valve seals. it is very easy to fix if you know how to work around the car.

1988starter
03-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Also what kind of oil do you use I usto use 10w 30 now I use 3 quarts of 5w 30 and 1 quart of lucas oil stabliser because I had the bad idle problem and now i do not.

czechers
03-26-2003, 09:37 PM
OK, so, as far as I can tell, the smoke is blue, or white. I have a lite blue car, and the window tints are blue... so its hard to tell. The oil is 10W30 and like I said I have only had it for 3 weeks.... so I havnt done anything to it yet..... but it does "clunk" when I change from park to whatever gear... I did figure something was up with the transmission but wondered if this had anything to do with this problem.... besides, I put $1250 down for down and insurance, then another $600 in these past 3 weeks for tax and tag, so IM SPENT. A tune up, I can swing... but thats about it for now. We'll hafta see if that helps. I dont need an oil change for 3K more miles, but I'm gonna take it for one anyways. Should I take it to the dealer? Oh, and can they tell if the timing has been done, or not?? I know Im a pain in the ass, but Im new, be nice to me, lol :wtf:

czechers
03-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah, rattles as in a noise, the car drives smooth, and I havnt noticed any oil spots in my parking spot.

czechers
03-26-2003, 09:43 PM
ok, and, lol, the car idles fine when it is cool, and only really gets rough when the A/C is on or its hot. When the A/c is on, Im waiting for it to stall all the time. If I have it adjusted, wont it idle too high when I start up?

netfreak
03-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Hmm well dealerships get expensive but have someone check the timing and get the transmission flushed. When I first got my car it would make a SHING type noise when i went from reverse into park or drive.. Doesn't do that anymore, but often it makes a very unpleasant noise going into reverse. I'll probably flush the tranny myself and hopefully it helps.

1988starter
03-26-2003, 09:58 PM
Yea flush the tranny it is truly best to buy honda mtf or atf from the dealer that should help the clunk if you cannot aford the flush get about 8 quarts run it drain fill run drain and fill again. Then do wires plugs car rotor pcv valve and other tune up stuff air and fuel filter.

shepherd79
03-27-2003, 04:41 AM
check for codes. buy cheap carburator cleaner and try cleaning throttle body.

1988starter
03-27-2003, 05:32 AM
or use throttle body cleaner.