PDA

View Full Version : Steering column rattle

Xulfiqar
03-26-2003, 11:16 AM
My cars steering column rattles on the steering wheel side sometimes - at a peculiar angle. I had the steering gear to shaft union checked, its good - so I am wondering how to overhaul the shaft, any ideas, suggestions.

Blue Impact
03-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Mine does that too, when I'm parked and steering.

anchovies
03-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Check wheel bearings and tie rod/ tie rod ends. I'm half way (tie rod end is stuck :D) changing the tie rod end for this problem. Hopefully, I've pin pointed the problem correctly.

anchovies
03-27-2003, 12:41 AM
I've got it wrong. Changed the tie rod end for nothing. It's probably steering instead of handling (at least for my problem).
Good luck to you guys.

Poodlehead
01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I've got an 87 DX automatic and when it's in gear idling when stop my column rattles real bad. I narrowed it down to the lock on the tilt of the column. If you unlock it, the rattle goes away, but as soon as you barely lock it, the rattle is back. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Idling it up higher would help, but I've already got it set a little high and I don't like the big loud 'clank' it makes when I shift out of reverse so I don't want to idle it any higher.

Thanks!

POS carb
02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
1st make sure your idle speed is normal and smooth (700-1000 RPMS, no hicups)
if it is good most likely it is caused by bad motor mounts. Mine used to do that back in the day, I can't remember exactly when it went away but it used to happen when I had the automatic transmission and I am 99% sure the new motor mounts had something to do with it.

Chances are you have never disassembled your steering column to the point of causing something like that.

Poodlehead
02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
My idle is normal or slightly higher because the higher the idle, it will smooth out the rattle and I have replace all the motor mounts. I pulled the instrument cluster when I first got the car to grease the speedo cable and now that you mention it, I did drop the column some. I remember some black chunk of 'rubberish' stuff on the floorboard that I didn't know where it went so I didn't worry about it.

I didn't really take the column apart, but I did lower it some (I don't remember how much I screwed with it now) so it looks like I need to dig into that stuff again. I know for sure, if I just let the tilt float (unlocked), it won't rattle when it idles in gear, but the instant I start to lock the column, the column/steering wheel rattle comes back...

Thanks for kicking this old farts mind back into gear a bit. Sure wish I could remember stuff better, but I guess that's not gonna change. Thanks again!

Blkblurr
02-07-2007, 08:49 AM
When you replaced your motor mounts did you use Honda mounts? If not you may still have the problem of steering wheel vibration.

MessyHonda
02-07-2007, 09:57 AM
balance your tires

POS carb
02-07-2007, 12:36 PM
oh yea, I thought you meant at idle for some reason. if your car is doing it when you are driving you need to check your brake rotors for warping and your wheels. try rotating your front tires to the rear.

Poodlehead
02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
POS Carb, You are correct, it is at idle in gear and stopped. If you let go of the steering wheel, there is a bad rattle in the column. If you unlock the tilt, the rattle goes away. I did replace the mounts with non-Honda mounts, but I have a hard time believing that is the problem. I'm guessing some sort of dampner between the lock and the column is missing or not quite right...