PDA

View Full Version : lowering on stock struts?

LX-i Girl
03-27-2003, 10:05 AM
ok chris has goldy's old coilovers on his car and is going to give me his h&r springs. it's only a 1.5" drop, would i be ok to do this on stock struts...or should i wait? chris thinks i can do it, but i want your opinion on it just so i don't risk blowing out my struts....

Jims 86LXI HB
03-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by LX-i Girl
ok chris has goldy's old coilovers on his car and is going to give me his h&r springs. it's only a 1.5" drop, would i be ok to do this on stock struts...or should i wait? chris thinks i can do it, but i want your opinion on it just so i don't risk blowing out my struts....

Well honestly you can do whatever you want;) On the plus side the H&R's (and Neuspeeds) are the softest lowering springs you can get, so they will tax the stock units the least. However, you will have bounce and control issues untill you can afford to install Koni's. Yes running stock struts on stiffer springs will cause the stock struts to wear quicker, wheather that means a quick wear out our not is anybodies guess. Since they are not super stiff springs I would not think they would wear quickly,....PROVIDING they are in great shape now. Which brings up the point, DO NOT run stock struts that are warn under any circumstance on any lowering spring.

LX-i Girl
03-27-2003, 11:29 AM
yeah i don't know too much about the history of the car since i just got it a few months ago, but the struts seem to be fine. i also don't know when i will be able to afford some koni's. goldy's old car had 4 blown koni's i believe and chris and i are thinking of just sending those in to get redone and pay the $400 or whatever it is to do that....

Jims 86LXI HB
03-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Hey, ask chris to check his emails. I have a idea for you on this subject.

LX-i Girl
03-27-2003, 12:20 PM
already done....thanks